A Vacay to remember

Leah woke up slowly, feeling sore all over. She slowly batted her eyes open to find herself lying on Eric. Her one hand was holding Eric's. It took her a moment to clear her head and for the memory of last night to flood in.

Her nyctophobia had kicked in last night and Eric had held and soothed her, she slowly remembered. He had whispered assuringly the whole while, until she drifted into sleep. She did not remember when that was or if the power was back by the time she slept.

She only remembered that she'd felt safe like never and had held on to him the whole night.

And he hadn't pushed her away.

Her heart made a tiny dance and an involuntary smile tugged at her lips. She slowly lifted her head up to see if Eric was still sleeping. She hoped so, for she didn't what she would do if at all he was up with her lying comfortably on him.

Thankfully, he was still asleep. Gently, she propped herself up and away from him. When she was on her side with a decent space between them, she let herself relax. Eric's hand must be killing him, what with her lying on his shoulder the whole night and all, she thought.

Leah lied on her back, letting all her thoughts rush in. They had spent two days here and every day some barrier had been broken and they had come closer than the day before. One month of their marriage and although they'd spent all the days together, nothing of this sort had happened. They shared a room back home too, but they always managed to not step in each other's way. They had deliberately been cautious of avoiding each other.

And now, they couldn't. And somehow, that brought them closer.

Or so, Leah felt. She couldn't speak for Eric. After all, he could still feel like nothing's changed despite everything. Leah didn't know how that made her feel.

Leah was clearly getting attached. And Eric had told her one too many times that she was here only as the girls'mother and nothing else. He had practically promised that he would never feel a single thing for her.

And then there were her insecurities. Eric was in a mindset where he wouldn't even fall for someone pretty or hot. And Leah was neither. She wouldn't even have a chance.

Leah shut her eyes tight and pushed the thoughts away. They weren't doing her any good and Leah wanted to just dwell in this moment right now. She had slept almost hugging her husband whom she was starting to fall for. She was happy and content with that. She didn't know if she'd ever get a chance like last night again and savored every teeny tiny memory of it.

"Good morning," Eric said, voice thick with sleep.

Leah broke from her trance and looked at Eric and grinned widely. "Good morning."

"Sleep well?"

"Yes. Thank you so much for what you did last night. I can't imagine what would have happened to otherwise."

"Did you have a nightmare? Or was it a fear of the dark?"

"I can't be alone in the dark. It's a phobia."

"Oh! Hope you slept better after."

She nodded smiling and he smiled in reply. "Sorry, I don't even remember when I slept and I assume I had been sleeping on your arm the whole night. Your arm must be killing you," she said apologetically.

"Oh, no. Not at all." He moved his hand but it was stiff. "It's just a little stiff, that's all. Will be fine in no time."

"You could have rolled me over to this side. You didn't have to put up with me the whole time."

He smiled warmly shaking his head. "You were going through something, Leah. And when you slept, you looked a little relieved and I didn't want to wake you. I'm not an asshole." He laughed. "And also, for the first few minutes after you fell asleep, your breathing was still heavy. Letting you sleep undisturbed was the least I could do to help."

Leah's heart was full of gratitude but she didn't know how or what to say. So she simply smiled. "Thank you," she said, as if that summed up all that she felt.

"Don't worry about it. I'm glad you're okay. Let me go freshen up real quick and we'll start packing," he announced and left.

They were leaving back to Chennai that night. The vacation was over. Tomorrow they'd be back in their house and their usual routine would follow where they would have nothing to do with each other but discuss the kids.

Leah sighed and sat up. As much as she didn't want this to end, she knew would cherish these two days forever. She was going to have to be content with this.

*******

"I made a lot of sweets for you all. And also some ready mixes for a quick lunch," Leah's mother announced.

Leah noticed a dozen tins set on the table. "Ma, thank you but this is a lot to carry!"

"No! It's all small tins. They won't weigh as much as they seem."

"Ma..." Leah hesitated. She wished she knew what her mother was up to so she could have stopped her.

"Come on, Leah. It's for my dear grandchildren! You have no idea how long I'd been wanting this."

"We'll take everything, aunty." Eric's voice came from behind her. "I can manage, Leah."

Her mother beamed with joy and Leah's heart immediately made a flip.

"Daddy!" called Sally from behind and ran to him holding a bag. "Grandpa gave me these toys!"

"Wow."

She opened the bag excitedly and showed Eric all the things inside. Haley soon followed carrying another bag.

"Grandpa got me stuff too!"

"This is so nice of him. Did you thank him?" Eric asked.

"Yes!"

Eric looked at Leah's dad. "You didn't have to. But thank you. It was very kind of you."

"Oh no. Please. They're my grandkids and like every grandparent I want to spoil them too," Leah's dad laughed. "I missed their younger days but I want to do everything now."

Eric smiled gratefully. Leah's heart filled with a warm emotion. She felt a lot of things right now. Gratitude, happiness, love.

She mouthed 'Thank you," to her dad.

She was thankful for everything. The two days that she got to spend here is by far the best vacation she'd had.

She had so much to take home from here. So many memories, so many emotions. She felt different from two days ago. So many tiny barriers had been broken. So many unexpected events had transpired. Things she'd have never imagined possible happened.

And the biggest of all, it was here and now that she might be starting to fall for her husband.

*****

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Thank you for reading this far lovelies! ❤️ I hope you're liking it so far and I hope you continue to. Your views and likes make me want to write more. So grateful for that!
Please vote and comment your thoughts and reviews 🫰
XOXO