Plus One

In the month that followed, they all fell into a steady routine as a family. They ate together, played together and had fun together. They celebrated every small thing and supported each other as best they could.

Sally was getting better at socialising. She still wouldn't get close with Leah but at school she was making friends. She was now up to having 4 friends. They were practically a gang now. Leah often found Sally in her group, chatting and giggling. She longed to hear Sally talk to her about her friends but for now, she was happy with the progress. Sally would talk whenever she was ready. Leah wasn't going to force her.

Eric had called her their mommy in passing. And the joy Leah felt at that was unexpressable. But she also knew better to not read too much into what he said. She was just happy that he felt she was worthy of being called the girls' mother even if it was only the one time.

Leah and Eric's friendship was growing stronger by the day. Eric often pitched in to help Leah with the chores around the house. The fact that he'd been doing everything himself before Leah came was helpful. He didn't want her to do everything by herself.

And when they worked together on the chores, they spoke. They were starting to talk about things other than the kids. They were getting to know each other. And Leah was eager to learn about his life.

Leah shared a little about her fear of abandonment, but she still wasn't ready to open up about her insecurities of her appearance.

There clearly was nothing romantic going on between them. Leah was well aware of that. And she didn't hold on to any expectations of anything more than just friendship.

And in all the friendship, Eric had gotten closer. He once stood a foot away from Leah but now chose to stand closer. They sat beside each other on the couch these days, his arms slightly brushing against hers sometimes.

This once, when they were taking selfies with the kids, Eric had casually swung an arm over her shoulder and had held her close. In all the pictures they stood so close to each other. They even took a few of just them without the kids.

Now and then, Leah would pick up her phone and just look at those pictures. It might be just her, but they looked so perfect together. They looked like a perfectly paired couple to her.

In everything that was changing, Eric didn't feel a thing beyond genuine friendship but Leah felt a million feelings.

But she didn't dwell on them. She brushed off each of these feelings just as they came and continued building their relationship just the way Eric wanted it.

******

Leah and Eric developed this new habit of standing in the balcony together at night after the kids went to bed, getting some fresh air and talking. It started when one day, Leah, not feeling sleepy, went to stand there at night and Eric came to check on her. She told him she wanted to just stand there for a few minutes before bed and he asked if he could join her too. She readily said yes.

And that became a new tradition. Whenever they had the next day off, they went to the balcony after putting the kids to sleep. It was refreshing and made for a good bonding time.

Today was one such day and they were standing leaning against the railing side by side. Leah had made some hot chocolate for both of them.

"So, my colleague is getting married next month," Eric started, sipping hot chocolate. "In Ooty."

"Wow! Cool! When are you going?"

He looked at her for a moment. "We are going."

"You're taking the kids too?"

He sighed and shook his head.

"Mrs.Leah Eric, would you mind accompanying me to this wedding? Will you be my plus one?" He asked putting his palm out for her.

Leah laughed as butterflies danced in her tummy. He called her Mrs Eric. She was dancing in her head. Eric was making everything dreamy without even meaning to and as platonic as it was, Leah couldn't help getting excited.

"Sure!" She took his hand. "How can I not when you put it like that, sweet and all!" Thank god it was dark outside, Eric could not see her blush.

Eric laughed. "Wouldn't have given you an option either. So, good that you agreed."

Leah laughed again. Eric was still holding her hand and Leah didn't want him to let go. It felt nice and cozy in his hand.

"So, when is this? And who's this friend?"

"Her name is Parvathy. She joined as a newbie some 5 years back and I trained her. Nice kid. We quickly became best friends, you see."

"That's sweet."

"Wedding is on 12th, Friday. You'll have to take the day off."

"Yeah sure. No problem."

"We can stay the weekend and look around. What say?"

Leah grinned. A trip with her new family! With Eric! Who, by the way, was still holding her hand.

"Come on, you're getting me all excited!"

Eric laughed. "Why? It's just a wedding. And for someone you don't know. I thought you'd be bored. I half expected you to hesitate."

"What? Are you kidding me? It's not just some wedding. It's a wedding in Ooty. We're making a trip out of it! And so what if I don't know this person? I can still doll up and go. It's been a while since I attended any wedding. I'm already wondering what to wear and all. And!! I now have two beautiful little girls to dress up in pretty, pretty outfits! I can't wait! " Leah almost shrieked. She was getting more excited as she spoke.

Eric laughed and gently squeezed her hand." Thanks Leah. You know what, Sharon would've never even agreed to come along. Thank you for being you."

He stepped in closer and Leah's smile dropped as her heart raced. "I've been meaning to tell you this for a while. Thank you for coming into our lives, Leah. Thank you for agreeing to this crazy deal. Thank you for choosing to be the mother of my kids. Like I've said before, you truly are what they deserve."

He paused for a second and looked at her hand, absently rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb." I... I don't know if I deserve you though." He looked up at her, into her eyes."But you still choose to put up with me and stay with me. You complete this family Leah. You were our missing jigsaw puzzle. I must confess that I was skeptical at first. But now, after all this time we've spent together, I wouldn't have it any other way."

He paused again and Leah could feel the tears wanting to fill her eyes.

"You are the friend and companion I didn't even know I needed." he laughed a little. "You are the plus one I didn't know I needed."

********

Author's note: I know I've been super inconsistent in updating. Too many things going on with me and I get caught up. I'm soo sorryyy!! But you've been great readers and I can't thank you enough for encouraging me to write more.

Hope you like this chapter and hope it makes up for the delay. Please vote and leave a comment if you like it 🤗🤗
Love you all! 🫶