The first night

Leah sat frozen in her seat as Eric stepped into the room. He shut the door and took a step forward.

Eric was equally uncomfortable as Leah but also felt a tinge of pity towards her. It was her first time, marriage and everything. He had done this already. He was married once before and had been in love with his wife then.

But now, he didn't even know much about the woman sitting in his room. He had hardly spoken to her before or tried getting to know her. His only concern was to know for sure that she was the right person to take care of his kids and bothered to know only that much about her. Rest all he hardly cared.

A few months back when he'd first met her at the school, it was quite unpleasant. He had been in a bad mood and Leah had ended up taking the heat. But that was that. In fact he intended to apologise and hoped to never have to meet her again.

But sometimes, the universe has a way of making our little words of spite come true, and that's what had happened with Leah and Eric.

At the end of it all, both had a void that needed to be filled and had taken up on each other's offer.

Although, that didn't mean it wasn't awkward now, to be in the same room, alone, on their supposed first night.

They both knew better to think anything was to happen today between them. In fact, Eric had been pretty clear about his intentions. He only needed a parent for his kids. This was just a Parental Proposal and nothing more. During the proposal, he almost swore that he'd never be able to fall in love with her. He didn't want her to develop a hope that would never come true.

He put everything out there and let her choose. He could give her nothing more than a luxurious life and only needed her to be his children's mother.

"Haley just left," Leah's voice cut through the silence.

"Um, yeah. I saw her on the way in."

"Don't you need to put them to sleep?"

"Today their grandma is going to take care of it."

Leah nodded.

"Are you fine?" He asked after a beat. "Do you need anything?"

"No. I'm good."

"Please feel free to ask if you need anything. I want you to feel comfortable."

She nodded and Eric felt the need to say more.

"I know this is all new and...um..." He stammered. "I hope you get comfortable soon," he said and smiled gently.

She smiled back but the smile didn't reach her eyes. "Thanks. I'm good."

"You can take the bed. I have a roll bed in the wardrobe. I'll sleep in it."

"Are you sure?" She rushed. "I can sleep on the floor. I don't mind."

"I'm sure. Don't worry."

Eric pulled out the roll-bed and spread it on the floor. He went to the washroom and changed into his pyjamas. Only then did he notice that Leah was still in the wedding dress minus the jewellery and the makeup.

"I'm sorry but do you need some change of clothes?"

She blinked, as if trying to figure out what to say. She cleared her throat.

"My mom packed the wrong stuff," she said biting her lips. "It's okay. I can sleep in this."

Though it was a low-key wedding, Leah had still worn something grand and quite heavy given that it was her first marriage and all.

Eric went to his wardrobe and pulled out a set of knee-length shorts and a t-shirt.

"Here. It's new. You can wear this."

Leah stared. "Um...it's...okay... I can-"

Eric could feel her discomfort and immediately regretted doing this. "I'm sorry. I understand. It must be uncomfortable wearing a stranger's clothes. I gave it only cause it's new and I've never worn it. But that's okay."

"No!" She almost yelled. "It's not that. It's just..." she swallowed. "I'm a...plus size. I don't think those will fit me."

He heard the shame and pain in her voice and immediately felt his stomach tighten. She looked embarrassed and Eric felt bad for her.

He remembered the conversation he'd overheard all those months back- she yelled at her mother that she liked being fat. And later on, she'd told him why she wasn't married and suspected she'd never be. Wasn't that the whole reason she'd accepted his proposal? Her mother had wanted her married and Leah could see no other way.

"These will fit I guess. Can you please try them once at least? That is if you're comfortable," he added.

While he was a little thinner than Leah, he'd always bought pyjamas a little bigger than his size. He liked the comfort of baggy clothes. And he was pretty sure it would fit her. He wouldn't have offered otherwise.

"Okay," she agreed. She stepped closer to him and took the clothes from him.

Their fingers unintentionally grimaced. As if they'd touched current, they both immediately pulled away subtly but not unnoticeably.

"Your dress...um, I think you should change here in the room. It wouldn't be comfortable to change in the bathroom. I'll be in the bathroom until then. Let me know when you're done and I'll come out."

"No, that's o-"

Eric didn't wait for her and swiftly went to the bathroom. He locked up and sat on top of the covered toilet seat.

Leah's face was too fresh in his eyes, denying to go away. She had looked and felt so vulnerable and sad. Especially when she told him how his clothes won't fit. He felt a pang in his stomach. Pity started to fill his insides.

The poor girl had married him because she felt like she had no other option. Although he didn't know much about her, he knew enough to know that she deserved to be with someone who loved her and cared deeply for her.

And Eric could never love her.

What he didn't know was...
Never say never, right?