And then comes trouble

Holidays were devastatingly over and Leah and the kids were back at school. Leah used to love the first day of the academic year. It meant meeting her new class, new kids and getting to know them.

Haley and Sally were now in 3rd grade and Leah was no longer their class teacher. She took some subjects for them but she wouldn't get to be with them the whole day.

That made her sad a little but she thought it would do them some good to be a little away from her. Maybe that'll help them see her less as a teacher and more as a parent.

Leah wouldn't admit it, but it bothered her that Haley and Sally still wouldn't call her mom or consider her a parent. They even accepted her parents as grandparents but she felt like she was still kept at hand's length. But she wanted to give them all the time they needed. It wasn't easy just changing mothers.

She decided she would concentrate on her new 2nd graders and worry about home back at home.

******

First week of school went by in a blur. New students and new bondings kept her busy. So it was for Haley and Sally too. She sat with them everyday after school and asked them about their day, their homeworks and how they are coping with their classmates.

Sally was getting a little better. She had two more friends that she now talked about often. The sleepover and everything helped. She still spoke less but looked less sad than before and smiled often.

Haley as always was having fun. She was the one who shared more details about class.

All was going good. Until now.

A woman stood by the staff room, looking at Leah. She looked very pretty, her hair tied in a messy bun and a little.bit of makeup on. She looked young to be a parent.

"Hi, I'm here to see my daughter."

"Hello!" Leah said. "May I know which class your daughter is in?"

"3rd grade. Sorry I don't know the section."

"Oh that's okay. I am not a 3rd grade class teacher but I take math and English for them. So I might know her. Her name, please?"

"Haley."

Leah didn't know if she heard her right.

"Haley? As in Haley Eric?"

"Yeah, that's the one."

Leah stood shocked for a second. It was Eric's ex wife standing in front of her. And why was she asking only for Haley?

Leah cleared her throat, the welcoming smile wiped off her face.

"This way, please."

She took her to Haley and Sally's class.

"Did you mean to see just Haley or Sally too?"

She smiled. "Aren't they a package deal? You ask for one and get both?"

Leah didn't know if she was trying to be funny but she sensed a bitterness in her tone.

She silently went into the class and brought both Haley and Sally out. Seeing their mom Haley ran to her and hugged her while Sally shyly followed her smiling.

She'd been their teacher for a whole year but had never seen their mom visit them. This was unusual and she didn't know if Eric knew she'd be visiting.

They had never discussed the situation. If this were to happen ever, was she supposed to let her see them? Or was she to call and check with him first. Damn she didn't even think about checking with him first. She was too shook by her sudden appearance that she couldn't think of anything.