End of wallowing

Leah couldn't sleep that night. Her head was a mess and all the overthinking made her feel like her head was going to explode.

Eric's words kept ringing on loop in her ears. I need you too, Leah.

But Leah knew that he meant it in a platonic sense. He didn't have any romantic feelings for her. And regardless of what he said, there's still nothing between them except the kids. They were the only things binding them together. And Leah knew that if not for them, Eric wouldn't even care if Leah existed.

Leah stepped into this relationship believing she and Eric would be nothing more than just mere acquaintances; someone with common concern - Hally and Sally. Leah was not supposed to fall for this guy and she was definitely not supposed to expect him to in return.

But she did fall and once she did, no matter how much she convinced herself that a friendship was enough, she still longed for him to like her back.

And that is the sole reason for every problem she is in now.

If she hadn't fallen for him, she wouldn't have been so upset with what Sharon babbled. She wouldn't have let her insecurity take control of her.

Sharon convinced her that day that it was her lack of good looks that kept Eric at arm's distance. But that wasn't right.

Seeing Sharon made one thing a little clearer. Why Eric wouldn't want to be in a relationship with anybody and not just her. If she could cause damage so fast and so easily, what must she have put Eric through in all their years of marriage? God knows what Eric had been through, how his heart and soul were damaged by that woman.

Leah understood his weariness to fall for another woman. It's hard to trust again after being broken. Leah understood. She understood that she was being unfair expecting him to fall for her.

She understood that, in all her insecurity, she made this about her and ignored to realise that Eric too might have his own insecurities and may be broken beyond what he let on.

********

"Good morning," Eric said. "You're late!"

Leah squinted at the clock, not believing Eric. 7:25. She woke up panicking and got out of the bed.

"Oh my God! I must have missed my alarm. Damn, damn!"

"It's okay," Eric took her arm. "Take a quick shower and get ready. The kids are getting ready as well. I'll take care of them."

"But I have to cook!"

"It's okay. I managed. Lunch is packed. Relax."

Leah sighed in relief. She quickly ran into the bathroom, freshened up and got ready. While coming out of the bathroom, in all the hurry, her forefinger and middle finger got caught in between the doors and she banged her fingers hard.

"Ah," she screamed. It hurt like hell.

Immediately, Eric rushed into the room.

"What happened? Are you okay?"

Leah looked at him and snickered painfully. "My fingers got caught in the door," she said holding out her hand.

He immediately took it and gently pressed the fingers.

"Ow!"

"Please bare with me. I'm trying to reduce the clot."

Leah gritted her teeth and as he kept gently massaging the fingers, by instinct she gripped his arm with her free hand, closing her eyes tight in pain.

After a few minutes, Eric stopped. "Are you okay?"

When Leah opened her eyes, she realised they were standing inches apart. He was still holding her palm while she was holding his arm. Their eyes caught and as she looked into his eyes, she momentarily forgot the shooting pain in her fingers.

"Is it still paining?" He asked, breaking her trance.

She shook her head. "Not as much. Thanks."

He nodded and slowly released her hand. When he tried to move back, she gripped him tighter, making him stay.

"Thank you for everything Eric. And sorry for being pathetic all this while. I should've known and behaved better. Thank you for not giving up on me and trying so hard to console me. I was being miserable for no reason, I guess. I just blew everything up in my head, overthinking and all, and just became overdramatic. I'm sorry, Eric."

He gently smiled. "Don't be. I know first hand the effects of Sharon. You're allowed to feel all that you felt. Please don't be sorry for the feelings you go through. It's important and I respect your time and space."

He took her both hands in his.

"Take your time Leah. Whatever I said yesterday, I didn't mean to force you to bury your emotions and talk to me. I just wanted to let you know that I understand and that I'm here for you. Sorry if it felt like I was forcing you. Please don't feel pressured into going back to normal on my account."

"No, no. I've been wallowing for long enough now. I have to move on and this house, you and the kids, you are what matters. I don't want anything to ruin our small and happy world. Especially when that's exactly what Sharon wanted. I can't let her win. We can't let her win."

Eric nodded. "I'm sorry for whatever Sharon did."

"You've apologized more than necessary. You should stop now!" She smiled.

"Yeah, right. Let bygones be bygones."

"Yup. And these things are only making us stronger as a family, right?" Leah said.

"Absolutely! We should actually thank Sharon for getting us closer."

Leah couldn't agree more. Eric may have meant them getting closer as a family but as for Leah, if not for Sharon, they wouldn't be standing like this, close and holding hands. And if not for Sharon, Eric wouldn't have told her that he needed her last night. So in all the damage Sharon hoped to cause, she'd only brought them closer.

When they came out of the room, the kids were all ready and playing.

"You're late," giggled Haley.

"Yeah, sorry. Let's go!" Leah said and Eric followed.

"Take care of Leah, girls. Mommy has hurt her fingers."

They hurried out of the house and left for school. Only later when she was in the school, working on her lesson plan in the staff room, did she realise what Eric had said.

Mommy hurt her fingers.

************
Author's note: Thank you for reading this chapter and following this story. Hope you like this new chapter. Please do vote for it and comment on what you think 🫰
Love y'all!!