28 I'm Back

This was where they died.

Kal stood in front of the farm where he grew up. It was all burnt to the ground. He hasn't been there since the incident. He closed his eyes as the painful memories came back. He tried to stop the tears from falling, but he couldn't help it.

The weather was bright and sunny in contrast to the gloomy environment. There was nothing but burnt wood and grass and weeds that grown over the wreckage.

Bruce, who was beside him, held his hand for support. He knew why Kal wanted to come here.

Kal needed closure. He needed to see it for himself one last time. His home was destroy, but he had somewhere to go back to. He had someone to support him in his time of need.

"I'm back," Kal said quietly. "I'm Superman again." That was all he said as he opened his eyes to look at the wreckage. He knew he had to let go eventually, but they will always be in his heart.

Bruce knew that, for his parents was always in his.

Kal wiped his tears with his free hand. He took a deep, shaking breath in and out. He look at Bruce.

Bruce asked, "Are you ready to go?"

Kal nodded.

They began walking away to Bruce's car. They didn't make it three steps when Kal stopped them.

Kal took one last look at his childhood home. So much grief was shown on his face. He didn't say anything as he turned back to continue to walk away.

The two of them went into the car and sat in the back seat.

Alfred, in the driver seat, began to drive off.

Kal looked at Bruce with a sad smile. He said barely audible, "Thank you for taking me here."

Bruce replied, "Anything for you." He rubbed his thumb over Kal's hand. "How are you doing?"

Kal answered, "It all hurts. I miss them so much." He leaned against the door to look out the window. He watched as the scenery of Smallville go by.

Bruce looked out his own window.

They never moved their hands apart.

Kal took a breath in. He glanced over at Bruce, who was beginning to relax his body. He smiled at the view of his partner. He knew that they were heading back to the manor in Gotham.

He was going home.

That's it. The end. I was wondering if you like to see what happened between Superman and Vandal in the first place, and how did Superman escape? I have it in my head, but some things could be best left unwritten. 🤷🏾‍♀️