Rules

Maddie held her breath as the door was opened before her, she looked up to see Ace

Maddie held her breath as the door was opened before her, she looked up to see Ace. She concentrated on her breathing, waiting for permission from him to enter inside his office room. He noticed her stilled self, not making a move to enter. He took an exhale.

"Come in Maddie" his voice was inviting, though still held power. Power she hoped he wouldn't abuse. she obeyed and walked in. Walking in she noticed a couch on the left wall from the door and two chairs by it. Her attention began observing the rest of the office. His desk was in the center of the room, a bookcase not to far behind it. Every room seemed to be large and fancy to Maddie.

He closed the doors behind them, leading them to his large desk.

"Have a seat Maddie" her attention had now gone back to her eldest brother. Ace sat behind his desk, in a fancy black office chair. Maddie sat across. She couldn't keep her eyes to Ace. Calling him intimidating was an understatement. She began fiddling with her hands, keeping her gaze to the large window then back to her hands.

"I want to start off with Welcome home, your brothers and I are very happy to have you with us" his voice held such confidence, making no mistake. she began to wonder if had he praticed his speech before she arrived?

"Thank you for taking me in" she was beyond grateful for their kindness and hospitality. She had never been treated with such kindness in years.

"Of course, this is your home and where you belong." His words had begun conflict in Maddie. 'Where I belong?'. those three words circled in her mind. 'Then why wasn't I here when my mother died?' her first thought rang out in her mind. 'Why didn't I know you guys even existed?' her second. 'Why were they never in my life' her final thought. Ouch.

She didn't understand why those three word's affected her so much. Maddie couldn't think of anything to say. She had questions she wanted answers to, though she decided this wasn't the time to ask. She nodded her head.

"When any of your brothers or myself are speaking with you we expect verbal responses" his voice was more stern then it had been before. She involuntarily winced into the back of her seat. She was used to being told to keep her mouth shut or remain silent, being told to talk and respond was definitely a change.

"Okay" she mumbled, she kept her attention on her hands. fidgeting with them, trying to distract herself.  It wasn't working.

"Look us in the eyes when we are speaking to you Maddie" his tone was sharp, she brought her gaze up to him. She just now had noticed how his eyes were an exact replica of hers. 
Maddie wasn't planning on disobeying her eldest brother, even if that meant going against years of being told to keep her eyes down.

"It's just to make sure you heard and understood us" he exhaled then carried on. "You will start attending a private school starting in two weeks, I'm expecting you to keep your grades up. No slacking with homework or studying."