Letters of the past

Maddie sat in the back seat embarrassed, wanting this day to end

Maddie sat in the back seat embarrassed, wanting this day to end. They still had a few minutes till they arrived home, which felt like hours to Maddie. Grayon had turned on some music in the car to end the awkward silence, she was thankful for that.

Maddie kept her attention on the window, she noticed a book store up ahead. A smile grew on her face, she wanted so badly to go inside it.

Grayson through the mirror could see Maddies face light up, he noticed her eyes wondering on the bookstore up ahead. If stopping to go inside a bookstore would cheer her up he would be more then happy to oblige.

They would do anything to make her happy.

"Hey sorellina you see somewhere you wanna stop?" She turned her head to Graysons question, she saw Zach turn his attention to Grayson for a minute then back to the road.

"I uhm would it be okay if we stopped at the book store up ahead for a second? There's a book I wanna get. I'll be quick I promise" Maddie answered back quickly, expecting rejection to the thought

"Of course Maddie, don't hesitate to ask if you ever want something" this time is was Zach's voice, his tone was comforting. She was happy that the awkwardness from the event earlier seemed to be gone.

"Thank you" she said, more so to both of them.

As soon as Zach parked the car and opened her door for her she rushed inside. She heard Zach chuckle at her excitement.

She walked through the store, going through section by section. Grayson following a bit behind her. Reading was one of the few things Maddie loved the most to do. She didn't wanna keep wasting their money like she had already in her mind. She had a few books in her hand, choosing which one to take home and which to put back.

She wondered if she asked Grayson if she could get two if he would get annoyed. Though the expression on his face as he watched her didn't show any signs of it.
She turned to him, getting the confidence to ask him.

"You need help sorellina?" Grayson questioned, seeing as she held multiple books in her arms.

"w-would it be okay if I bought two books?" She looked at him nervously, her confidence fading away quickly. He kneeled down to her level.

He gave a smile before responding "You can get as many as you want" she felt her heart race at that, she wasn't expecting that answer.

"Thank you!" She rushed and quickly hugged him. She hadn't felt this happy in years. She felt him freeze at her movement but quickly hug her back. 

"Of course Maddie" she realized what she did and quickly backed away. She went back to going to pick out a few more books. Once she grabbed her last one she went to the checkout with her brothers, ready to finally head home. The event of earlier today leaving her mind.