VII: Wingsister (Pt. 1 of 3)

I drummed my nails on the table, casting a wary look around the crowded food court for any sign of updo braids. Precious never made an effort to be on time whenever she agreed to meet up, and today of all days, her foot-dragging irritated me.

I checked my hair in my phone's reflection for the umpteenth time, taking some comfort from the cool, heavy-lidded eyes that stared back at me. I'd made an effort to dress down with makeup and hair today, even more so than usual considering the attention I usually received from men, but I still felt exposed. Meeting in a public place had seemed like a great idea back in bed, but now?

Now I felt like everyone was watching me.

"Hey, May-May!" trilled Precious as she finally sauntered out of the crowd with two to-go boxes of Chinese food. "How's my favorite girl doing?"

"Great!" I lied, accepting the warm Styrofoam box. "Have any trouble getting here?"

"Ugh!" Precious huffed as she plopped down, causing her baggy sweater to bounce in time with her hair. "Harry is being so needy today! First, he wakes me up with some stupid love poem about how I'm his one and only. Then he wants to talk and waste hours of my busy weekend schedule. And now he wants me to go with him on a date this evening because he hasn't seen me in a week."

Precious shook her head as she popped open her food and began chowing down, but I wasn't fooled for a second. Ever since Precious met Harry five months ago, she hadn't stopped bragging about what a great boyfriend he was... in her own special way, of course. Precious would never admit it out loud, but she was head over heels for Harry.

Which brought me to the reason I'd asked her to meet me today.

"So," I said carefully as I picked at my orange chicken. "Things are going pretty well between the two of you, huh? No... complications?"

Precious's fake annoyed mood instantly evaporated as she scooped another handful of fried rice into her mouth. "Nop! Nuffin' worf reportin'!"

I squeezed my free hand into a fist to keep it from shaking. I'd wimped out the last time I'd arranged a meetup to talk about... that, and I'd have no excuse for failing to do it again. It was now or never. Best to get it over with.

"It's just... I'm curious, Y'know? What it's like... to date a white guy," I said.

The words were finally out, but the relief was yet to come. Precious gave me a calculating look as she chewed on a particularly large hunk of steamed broccoli. Then the last stalk of green disappeared behind her lips, and they broke into a sly grin.

"Ooooooooooh? And why would Ms. Mayleen Stone be interested in such men?"

I breathed out my nose and looked away to avoid the smug look on Precious's face. This was what I'd been dreading. I could live with the thought of people staring. I could endure the whispers and snide remarks. I'd even find a way to deal with haters. But having to deal with Precious being right for the first time in the eleven years I'd known her was almost too much for me to take. It was like the world was coming to an end.

"I'm just... curious is all. I'm not thinking about switching or nothin'," I said.

That was a lie and we both knew it, but I couldn't admit defeat. Not yet. Not with Precious's round lips spreading wider every second. I could feel my face burning from humiliation, and I didn't dare look at the lines of people for fear they'd be staring a me with smirks. Why oh why did I think doing this here was a good idea?