VIII: Wingsister (Pt. 2 of 3)

Ten minutes later, Precious had dragged me to the mall's east wing, her heels clacking against burnished tile and the biggest smile on her face. Meanwhile, I did my best to breathe properly as our destination neared, and with it, utter humiliation.

"Here we arrrrrrrrrreeeee! Time to make you look good, May-May!"

I suppressed a groan as Precious let go of my hand to spread her arms wide in a ta-dah! Fashion at her favorite store. Far be it from me to judge how other women choose to spend their hard-earned money, but Maxine's was the last place I'd ever shop for clothes. It was just too... too...

I swallowed as I looked at the four mannequins behind the glass, which were decked out in enough fabric to fit half their number. I tugged at my jeans jacket and long skirt out of nervous habit, feeling exposed just looking at what was on display.

"Oh, we don't have to shop here," I said meekly. "There's a sale going on at-"

"Girl, you givin' me excuses?" Precious asked with a stern look. "Because I've already heard them all. Oh, this is too expensive! Oh, this isn't my style! Precious, I won't look any good in this outfit, please put it back on the rack!"

I wrinkled my nose at the mocking falsetto she put on. "I do not sound like that."

"You do when you're desperate to be someplace else," Precious noted, crossing her arms over her chest. "Tell me, what's the real reason you won't go in?"

I looked away, opening and closing my mouth several times before finally getting a whisper out. Precious asked me to repeat it louder, and I sighed.

"My... mybutesbug."

"One more time with feeling, May-May," Precious said.

"My butt is big, okay? I have a huge butt!"

My body seized up as I realized I'd shouted that out loud and everyone was staring, including a handsome white guy who chuckled as he walked past. I gave a shrug and a sheepish smile back at him, wishing I could find a hole to crawl into and die.

Wait, wasn't that guy the one from the food court earlier?

I forced myself to look again, and indeed, it was Mr. Blue Eyes, who also gave a quick peek over his shoulder to see if my exclamation was the truth. I was used to guys checking me out no matter what I wore, but for some reason, his gaze wasn't violating. If anything, the double-take he gave was... exciting.

I shook my head and patted down my curls to clam myself, only to surface to Precious's smug grin. Now more than ever, I knew I couldn't go home.

"Uh ohhhhhh, somebody's huge butt got a second glance!"

I grabbed Precious's wrist and marched towards Maxine's, legs wobbly even as my anger solidified into courage. As bad as it would be in the store, it would be worse to remain outside with all the onlookers.

That's what I told myself as the doors closed behind us, but the truth wasn't so kind. If the mannequins out front were underdressed, the actual lineup of styles inside was borderline exposure. Everywhere I turned, I saw low-cut tops, dangerously short skirts, and other unmentionable items of clothing designed to bare skin in all sorts of humiliating ways. It was too much for me to take.

"What is this, a supplier for a strip club?" I breathed.

"Stop exaggerating, this ain't nuthin'," Precious said. "Come on, I'll ease you in."