IX. Wingsister (Pt. 3 of 3)

It was amazing how quickly my confidence plummeted as night fell. One muggy summer breeze on exposed skin was all it took for the old Maylene to bound and gag her new self and lock her in a mental trunk. One look in the sideview mirror was all I needed to know that I would never, ever be the kind of woman who could do this.

"Everybody gets nervous the first time, May-May," Precious said calmly as she wove through evening traffic at breakneck speed. "You look like a goddess in that outfit, so all you have to do is act like one to get through the night!"

I gripped the seat as we swung around a curb at 20 above the speed limit, wishing for the first time in my life that I'd see the blue and red flashing in the mirror. Then again, considering the cleavage-bearing cocktail dress Precious was wearing, she'd probably be able to flirt her way out of a ticket if she was pulled over. Not that she would get pulled over. Precious was the patron goddess of getting away with everything.

"You doing okay back there, Hare-Bear?" she sang as a red light whizzed by.

Harry nodded stiffly, looking like he'd long since given up on getting Precious to drive like a responsible adult. His club outfit was quite nice (and I suspected far tighter than he'd prefer), and the thought of men dressed similarly was all that kept me going.

Really, this wouldn't be so bad. I'd stick close to Precious and Harry, sip a few mimosas, take in a few gorgeous guys, then get home before anyone could recognize me. Put that way, the loud music shaking the ground as we neared the club didn't seem so intimidating. Even the garish neon lights seemed warm as Precious slowed the car to a speed sane people usually drove at.

"Club Michelle," I noted as I gazed up at the sign. "Odd name."

"Maybe, but this is the spot me to meet hunks!" Precious sang as we neared the valet. "This is where I met Harry, so you might just get lucky tonight!"

If this dress holds out, I thought as I squirmed in the seat. It had made an ominous noise in the seams when I'd squeezed into it, and was growing more paranoid by the minute. I could take showing off, but a wardrobe malfunction...

"Earth to May-May! Come on, or the valet is taking you for a ride!"

I snapped out of my thoughts to find Precious and Harry already outside the car, handing the keys to a kid with a bad mullet. I stepped out as gracefully as my heels would allow, and the kid gave his buddy a thumbs-up when he thought I wasn't looking.

"Drive safe, okay? This car is my baby," Precious said to the kid before roping an arm around Harry's. "And this is my man for this evening."

Harry bowed his head to hide the blush rising up his face, and I felt a renewed sense of confidence. If Precious could snag a guy like Harry, I could too.

"So... what do we do?" I asked.

"Just follow my lead, girl, I'll take care of everything."

I'd never been inside a place that was so bright, so full of energy, so overwhelmingly loud as the Club Michelle. Lasers danced through artificial fog coating the dance floor, and I meekly hugged the wall as I shadowed Precious. I both admired and hated the way she strutted like a queen through the club, as if she was its sole owner and proprietor. There had to have been a time when she was nervous. Probably.

But if there was such a time, she certainly knew the routine well. First came a drink to settle my nerves, followed by a quick survey of the guys. It was a mixed lot, in more ways than one, but there were a couple of standouts here and there. What wasn't used to was the way the guys kept staring at me. I did my best to appear confident and cool, but inside I was ready to rush into the bathroom and lock myself in.