2|Appearance

"Ma!"

"Ma!"

I whined, sniffling and holding my head. The pain from last night stilled but a heaviness was present.

"Shona you have been sick since last night. I told you not to skip meals. You will faint beta."

Ma said, taking another spoon of khichdi. My health will go down if the weather suddenly changes.

(Shona is an endearment most Bengali parents/closer one does.)

I had skipped dinner and thought it would get better but this morning it worsened. Ma finished feeding me and made me take those pills to distaste my tongue.

Yesterday after the Henna ceremony I was feeling tedious. But guess what, that didn't stop me from stalking him, where the worst was yet to happen.

A post was enough to sow the seeds of suspicion. I spent most of my night thinking about his four-year earlier posts. He doesn't have many photos. But a photo of him and a pretty tanned model-like woman crunched my stomach. He seems pretty close. The close intimacy didn't feel right. Not that I mind but I pushed back those unusual 'What ifs' of my thoughts. It was obvious he could have friends, but most of the time he preferred to stay out of the county.

Why? Was he hiding his secret family there? Did he secretly target me to finish?

Okay, that's getting nowhere.

Shaking my thoughts off of my head I forced on Ma's oil massaging. A sank more in her hands. I swear these two hands are worth everything. They just spelled the cast. I moaned and the oil was cooling my head off. Ma left and Ishita peeked through the door of my room.

I started getting more relaxed as Ma was messaging my head. I swear she can spell cast.

"Are you feeling any good Shen?"

Ishita asked me to take a seat beside the foot of the bed. She yawned, leaning on her elbows. She was with me last night while I was groaning in pain.

"Much better."

I moved left to make a place for her and patted space. She smiled lying near me and heaved a breath. We joined our hips in fifth grade, my partner in crime. Sometimes she behaves like mom.

"It's not feeling right."

She abruptly blurted out shaking her head like she was contemplating. I was taken aback and equally confused. Pinning her with my gaze but her eyes were closed as if she was not ready to share the thoughts overbearing in her mind.