Feelings

*Rui's POV*

I knew my mom was gonna kill me when she finds out I got detention. But it's all worth it since Nene doesn't have to suffer. I just took one for the team, sure mom would understand, right? I walk out of the school gates to find Tsukasa all alone by the sidewalk. His face lights up when he sees me.

- Rui! he says smiling.

- Hello Tsukasa, have you been waiting for me? I ask.

- Yes, actually, he says. Nene was waiting for you as well but she had to go home unfortunately.

- Oh, I say, disappointed.

- Anyway, I thought what you did for Nene in there was really kind.

- Well, I've gotta look out for her, I say.

- Right, because she's like family to you.

He says it in a suspicious way. Almost like he knew about my true feelings for her. He probably saw me holding her hand earlier. I figure that I should tell him about my feelings. He is a good friend of mine after all.

- It's not exactly like that, I say.

- She's your girlfriend, I know, he interrupted. I saw you two holding hands, giggling and being all cute.

- No, no she isn't my girlfriend, but I do have feelings for her, I say.

- She isn't?

- No.

- Why not?

- She doesn't like me like that, I say.

There is a moment of silence. Tsukasa is looking at me as if I were stupid.

- You're joking, he says.

- I wish I was, I say.

-  No, you've literally built your own actors but you can't tell when a girl you've known your whole life likes you?

Was he saying that Nene likes me romantically? No she can't, she loves me like a brother.

- Hello? Earth to Rui, Tsukasa suddenly says.

- Do you really think Nene likes me? I ask him.

- Err, yes? It's obvious, he says.

I smile. It's one of those smiles that you can't get off your face. I suddenly remember that I have to go home.

- I've gotta go before mom gets worried, I say, running off before he could respond.

I run home, my head being filled with thoughts. All of them are about Nene. I hope Tsukasa was right about her feelings. I'm really worried about how my mom would respond to the detention. I arrive home and open the door. I could hear Nene's voice from the kitchen, she was here. I take off my shoes and walk to the kitchen to find Nene and my mom having tea and talking.

- Oh Rui you're finally home, mom says, smiling at me.

- Hi, Rui, Nene says looking right at me. I was just explaining the detention situation.

- I appreciate that you look after your friends but please try not to talk back to your teachers, okay? mom says.

- Yes, I'm sorry, I say.

- Great.

I nod at her. Nene is still looking at me.

- Would you like to see something I've been working on, Nene? I ask.

- Sure I would love to, she says.

- Alright, just keep the door open, okay? mom laughs.

I give my mom a look and go upstairs with Nene.