Chapter 8

"Vir, you must live on..." Said the man on the ground with blood in his mouth.

I just finished pulling the trigger of my while breathing heavily. My body was aching everywhere, and I was covered in wounds and lacerations, along with the man that was on the ground who had just spoken. Our conditions weren't too different, but his condition was way worse than mine after he saved me from another man.

The said man was in front of me on the ground, and he had blood dripping on his forehead. His head had a hole and some of his brains was splattered onto the ground. His body had already gone cold, and there were no signs of life left from him.

The main reason for this man's fate was the revolver in my hand; I killed him, and it was evident given that the nose of the revolver was still smoking.

It was dawn, and we were in an opening in a forest, and both of the horses we rode were nowhere to be seen. Everything that led up to this situation was because of the man I just killed. However, I had no sympathy for the man I just killed, for he was the mastermind behind our current situation.

The breathing of the man who just saved me from certain death slowed down, and his death became apparent. I knelt in front of him, put my hat over my chest, and expressed my heartfelt gratitude.

"You have my deepest gratitude, Art."

Although he was at death's door, he, with difficulty, forced himself to speak.

"I only did what I must, Vir."

After hearing this I nodded thankfully.

"However, I must go, I'll carry on our legacy and disappear here for good. 'Virtuoso disappeared here without a trace,' that's how the story goes."

He chuckled heartily while coughing upon hearing what I just said.

"Vir, I truly am grateful for everything... the others too, they want you to live on. You carrying our legacy, and living on is more than enough for us." He forced a smile.

Upon seeing his expression, I felt my heart sink.

Emotions started to whirl within me, but I stopped it all from spilling out. This wasn't the time to be emotional... I at least need to do that much.

"Very well, I'll honor everyone's wish. This is goodbye... no, rather, when my sins one day catch up to me, I'm sure my sins would die along with me. So I say, let's meet again."

He chuckled softly in slight surprise when he heard my reply and nodded contentedly.

"However, you must not rush to follow us."

He said sternly.

"I don't intend to do so," I replied with a smile to reassure him. Although, it might've come out as forced since my emotions conflicted.

Hearing my reply, he finally closed his eyes and said:

"Then all is good... I'm afraid my time is up... remember, don't look back... go now."

He was right. I must go... they will get to me before I can mourn for him, and everything this man and the others did for me would be all for naught.

I put on my hat, and as I stood up, my black trench coat that almost reached my knees fluttered along the wind.

"I'm going..." I muttered one last time.

Hearing footsteps closing in on us, I immediately kicked off the ground and ran to the forest in hopes of losing them. I had no place in mind, yet, I still ran.

Warm liquid trickled down my cheeks, and I didn't realize that I was crying. I tried to stop it, but I couldn't. Despite that, however, I never stopped to take a break nor did I ever look back.