17: Lost Hope

18 BBY | Month 1 - Cell 0091

Tn a dimly lit cell, well over an hour ago, Noble sits with her back against the cold, unforgiving metal wall. Her once-defiant spirit has waned, leaving her with no desire to fight, argue, or seek help. She has a lingering sense that her time is running out, and the bleakness of her situation weighs heavily on her.

Noble absentmindedly cracks her knuckles as she examines the stun cuffs that keep her confined. Her gaze remains fixed on the restraints, but her mind drifts back to better days—days when she was part of the Bad Batch, laughing and goofing around with Wrecker and Crosshair during their playful snowball fights. She thinks about the time Tech kissed her for the first time, a memory filled with warmth and fondness. Most importantly, her thoughts circle back to Dume and her young son, Ace.

A small, nostalgic smile briefly dances on her lips as she remembers her engagement—funny and charmingly unique with a Moondrop Lotus, a moment of sweetness shared with Tech.

Her reverie shatters when two stormtroopers abruptly stop in front of her cell. "Stand up, clone," one of them gruffly orders.

With a hint of defiance, Noble responds, "StAnd uP, cloNE," while pushing herself up, her exhaustion evident in her posture. She notices one of the troopers being pulled back by the other, preventing an aggressive reaction.

"Yeah, I would listen to him, pal," she taunts in a defiant tone. "Never hit a woman, especially one of Palpatine's."

The two stormtroopers exchange a glance, seemingly unsure of how to handle her. Gesturing for her to move, one trooper takes the lead, while the other follows closely behind Noble. As they escort her down the narrow corridor, she takes a moment to look at the occupied cells she passes.

One particular cell stands out, darker and more forlorn than the others. She squints, pausing in her stride as her eyes focus on the silhouette within. "Crosshair?"

The troopers respond by forcefully shoving her forward, pushing her to keep moving. Noble's heart races as her gaze lingers for a few precious seconds. Their eyes meet briefly, conveying unspoken messages of desperation, longing, and a burning desire to understand why Crosshair is imprisoned alongside her in the heart of the Empire, within the Tantiss detention facility.

PABU

Down near the Archium, where the land stretches out to meet the endless horizon, Hunter and Flash walk side by side. The tranquility of the remote location provides a peaceful backdrop for their activities, with Dume and the young Ace following along. Above them, the clear blue sky hosts Omega's graceful landing as she completes her flight training with Tech.

Echo organizes a race through the upper atmosphere, known as the Troposphere, which pushes starships to their limits. As Omega lands, it's evident that Echo has won, overtaking her in the final stretch. Hunter and Flash approach Echo as he steps out of his ship, offering a respectful handshake to his old comrade.

"You weren't kidding," Echo remarks, looking around. "This place is remote."

Hunter nods, acknowledging the advantages of their secluded hideaway. As the Marauder touches down, Omega leaps out of the ship with enthusiasm, calling out to Echo.

"Echo!"

Tech staggers out of the Marauder, still recovering from the dizzying effects of Echo's signature flight maneuver. Dume, meanwhile, spots Tech and races toward him, hoping to knock him over in a display of affection. Slender stands back, taking in the scene from a distance.

Omega excitedly jumps into Echo's arms, hugging him tightly. "We've missed you!"

Echo chuckles, indulging her for a moment before gently setting her back on the ground. "It hasn't been that long."