Chapter 3

a/n: this chapter is gonna be in two parts! and I might publish part 2 in the next few days, anygays, stay healthy<3

In the end, Jennie takes Nicki with her to work.

How ironic, she thinks, being brought to the past after coming with your mom to work, and then the first thing you do is come with her again to work.

Lisa on the other hand had decided it was all crazy, and that she needs a moment to herself. And to herself, she means going to Manhattan and attending her evening classes.

The two of them were left at the house and Jennie had wanted to do more probing on the girl, even considering contacting authorities but the girl insisted that she can't or they would risk the pod being taken away from them back in Nicki's timeline. They'd detect her sudden presence on their radar and would know whether a pod was used carelessly.

"And it was on the protocols anyway," Nicki had added then, "Stand by in case of minor incidents."

Jennie wanted to tell her-- Well, this is clearly not minor, but decided against it and instead asked a different question.

"Are these incidents common?" Jennie asked to which Nicki answered, "It's not..." while unable to look Jennie in the eyes. 

She understands then that the girl has been faking her confidence, clearly trying to be brave in this situation she was put in. Nicki is just a kid, after all. Navigating an unknown world alone is undoubtedly unnerving even for an adult like Jennie if she was in the same position.

Jennie herself is baffled by everything that was made known to her just moments ago. But everything the girl said piqued her. The concept of time traveling, being a physicist, and working on research of something monumental in the future. The time traveling was already enough of a shock. It was all Jennie could dream of for her career in the field.

And then, of course, she tried to ignore the fact that the girl who told her all this information is supposed to be her daughter from the future, and what more is it was with Lisa.

Why the hell was it Lisa? Of all people?

Jennie's in a stable and committed relationship with her block mate Mike, and not to mention the guy was a father material. What could possibly go wrong if her future self decided to have a family with a housemate who's only good for her cooking instead?

Who knows, if only time travel was possible in her time. 

"Mom, what are you gonna sing? Are you gonna dance too?" Nicki asked her, munching on the fries and stirring the coke float with a plastic straw that Jennie bought her after she told her she was hungry.

God nobody judges her for feeding the child fast food. Jennie did not ask for this.

Nicki's seated beside Jennie who, on the other hand, is waiting for her gig to start.

The singing gig pays enough, and it may not be a regular thing but at least it supports her with her admittingly immoderate expenses.

Jennie wishes she could just ask her Mom. And that speaking on the subject of mothers, Jennie resigned herself to being called the same way. She can't really say 'don't call me that' every time the girl calls her 'mom'.