Chapter 8

Lisa stood at the kitchen sink, her hands scrubbing away at the dirty dishes with a slow, methodical rhythm. She could feel Jennie's eyes on her, burning into the back of her head like a laser.

"Why would you do that?" Lisa asks slowly and softly, her voice laced with disbelief as she turns to look at the woman. "What are you so mad about?"

Lisa could see Jennie stiffen at the question.  

"God--It's, I can't believe you're asking that." Jennie shook her head, a derisive chuckle escaping from her lips.

"I live with you, Lisa, for fuck's sake. I have a daughter with you who just popped out of nowhere. You can't treat me like this."

Lisa let out an impatient sigh, turning back to the sink and opening the faucet.

"Like what?" she asked, her tone sharp and clipped.

"Oh my god, stop it! Whatever you're---" Jennie paused, her voice rising in anger. "I know that you know what the fuck you're doing! Why are you suddenly ignoring me-- you know when was the last time you properly talked to me? On Cerf."

Lisa looked away to hide the wince at the mention of their trip and started washing the dishes. But Jennie did not stop there, the brunette groaned, "What's this about? Was it because I fucking kissed you? I told you I'm sorry already--"

Lisa froze at the mention of the kiss, her heart rate quickening. It had been a mistake, she knew that. But it had also changed everything between them, and she wasn't sure how to move forward.

"It's not, Jennie," Lisa said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Then what?" Jennie demanded, her eyes narrowing.

That last night in Cerf, Nicki was feeling adventurous and had befriended a group of teenagers, which left them to their own devices. They stumbled upon some locals who invited them to drink and ended up spending hours chatting and joking. As the night wore on though, Jennie became increasingly intoxicated and suddenly kissed Lisa. Maybe Jennie thought it was just an accident and expected her to laugh it off, but the kiss lingered and she almost kissed Jennie back, so how exactly could Lisa laugh it off? 

The next morning as they prepared to catch their flight, Jennie apologized for it, believing it was a mistake. She suggested that they should shrug off the kiss, that sometimes it happens, and they didn't need to make a big deal out of it. 

Well, fuck that, because it was a big deal for her.

"Just-- never mention that again. It's not about that--"

"Then what?"

Lisa could feel the anger building inside of her, threatening to spill over. But she didn't want to make things worse than they already were. So she took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down.

"Why do you care?" Lisa asked instead, voice slightly rising. "We've always acted this way anyway, what's new about it?"

Maybe it was the wrong thing to say because Jennie scoffed and when Lisa glanced at her, a gloss slowly coated her feline eyes. 

Oh, god, what am I doing?

"Right," Jennie muttered softly, before turning and leaving the kitchen, heading back to her own room.

Lisa was left standing alone in the kitchen, her hands still submerged in the soapy water. She knew that she needed to talk to Jennie, to figure out what was really going on between them. But she wasn't sure if she was ready for that conversation just yet.