Chapter 17

The resonating thud of a bamboo rocker arm colliding with a rock filled the air.

A gentle rustle of clothing accompanied a shift in posture, as someone moved from one side to another.

The melodious sound of liquid cascading from a teapot into cups.

Leaves whispered in the breeze, harmonizing with the creatures venturing out to frolic in the night.

Eyes shifted surreptitiously around the room until one individual decided to quell the unease.

"How are you feeling?" Makoto's voice cut through the tension. She placed the teapot on the table and gestured for you to take a cup. With a deft motion, she slid another toward Ei, who remained seated beside her, her gaze fixed on you with an almost predatory intensity.

"I-uh..." You averted your gaze from the captivating purple irises to the more piercing ones before returning your attention to Makoto. "I-I've been better." You managed to stammer out, quickly sipping from the proffered cup.

The tea surprised you, lacking the scalding heat you anticipated. It was as if Makoto possessed a mastery over the art of tea preparation, knowing precisely when and how to serve. 'Sweet,' you thought as you drained the contents of the cup.

A soft chuckle escaped Makoto's lips as your eyes widened in delight from the unexpected sweetness.

"Tea isn't usually so sweet, but we make an exception here. It's our own special tradition." Makoto's eyes flickered briefly toward Ei, who tried to suppress the smile that tugged at her lips when sipping her own tea.

"Um, this is all quite wonderful, but do I really need to be here for this?" you asked tentatively.

"Ah, my apologies. We're genuinely sorry for the injury you sustained. You emerged from that dark portal so suddenly, and Ei acted in my defence, which led to... well, stabbing you. I hope you can find it in yourself to forgive us." Makoto's voice carried a hint of remorse, while Ei's stoic facade seemed to soften momentarily before returning.

"It's alright. I understand the circumstances. I don't exactly emerge from it and not expecting something to happen either," you replied. Makoto's eyes gleamed with gratitude as she accepted your understanding.

"Now that that's settled." Makoto rose from her seat and approached you, drawing curious glances from Ei and yourself. What was she up to?

Drawing closer, Makoto lowered herself to your eye level, sending a shiver down your spine. Her smile remained, but you couldn't retreat now; she was inches away. Before you could question her intent, she pinched one of your injuries, eliciting a yelp of pain.

"What were you thinking, walking around in this state? Your wounds haven't fully healed yet. Honestly, you're as stubborn as Ei," Makoto chided, puffing her cheeks playfully as she continued to prod at your injuries. Before long, you found yourself twitching like a fish out of water, a symphony of discomfort.

"Ah! Ah! Okay, okay! I understand! I'll stay in bed, I'm sorry," you stammered, the pain driving your words.

Makoto patted your head affectionately, guiding both you and Ei back to your respective rooms. You entered yours first, turning around expecting the twin sisters to exit the the room but it seems one of the twins, Ei seemed to be adamant in seeing you in your bed asleep before retreating from the room. 

Eyes meeting with that of Ei's intense gaze, ensuring you drifted into slumber before she retreated, leaving you to your rest. You took that as a sign and got into bed looking back at her, she still had her intense gaze on you which meant she wanted you deep asleep that instant.