A pawn in the hands of glory

If I recall correctly, my father wasn't so keen on marrying me off... at least not this fast. I don't like not knowing the reason behind his impulsive behavior, it has been like this ever since i knew myself; my dad being unpredictable and me, being the child that i was, left confused and hurt and scared... I won't allow this to happen again, never again. I have to speak with him.

Dodging Roman's piercing eyes, and ignoring whatever provoking sentence he just said to me, I slowly approach my father... "Father, a moment?" He looked into my eyes for mere seconds, unable to hold any eye contact, afraid my eyes might tell him how much I despised his guts. He looked quite surprised I actually wanted to speak with him for once. Believe me, I don't blame him, you would get surprised too, when your kid wants anything to do with you after being the most irresponsible parent in all history of mankind. Now, how do I use your impulsive brain to my personal gain?

"Vanya, are you alright?" Was his first question, that man was not believing his eyes. Don't worry, father, you won't be believing lots of things in the near future, the first being you leaving me alone.

"Perfectly sane, father. Now, can I please ask you something? I would like to know and i think mother would really appreciate it if you did not lie to me, to us." My father was a manipulative bastard, but he also was the weakest on this earth when it comes to my mother, it's odd and extremely unsettling.

"Sure! What is the matter, my dear?" I took a deep breath, then I asked with all the confidence I had in me. "What changed? Just a couple of nights ago you were completely against me getting married to 'whoever' as you liked to put it. What changed, father? Are you in some deep trouble with that Theodore king? Do you owe him something? Because I am having a difficult time believing you came up with this matrimony."

Nothing. That was his answer. Breaking the momentary eye contact that we had, shaking his head in disappointment, in disbelief, and throwing in one of his signature condescending replies "I did not raise you like this." Oh, but you did!

I move closer to him and i do something i never intended to do, I hold my father's hands in mine, in desperation, for the first time in forever, and i ask him to please, tell me.

"What has gotten into you, Vanya? I told you already, it is for your safety and for the betterment of this kingdom. Now stop acting a fool and carry on with your duties!" He firmly stated, after violently removing his hands from mine as if touched by the plaque... not his own offspring. I flinch and I shake my head to myself, reminding my heart and the dying child inside of me that my father will never change, that he's a stone cold manipulative king who wants nothing but glory, and some more of it until he -hopefully- chokes on it and dies.

I carefully watch him as he quickly walks back to that Elrodian and his unpleasant son, and I wonder... did my mother really love such a disgrace? or was she, like me, and every other woman in our time, forced to think she was in love? Either way, I am deeply sorry for her, she (or her father) did not choose a suitable partner. Though a king is a king, I suppose.

I may be my father's biggest regret, but he sure is my biggest lesson and my ultimate reminder to never settle and to never listen to any of the meaningless words those men say just to get under my skin. If he, the one who brought me into this existence, never thought of me as an equal or as a worthy human, why would any of those men think that?

And so i walked back in there with renewed confidence and with a sense of self, sense of strength and hope. I can dethrone him and fast, as soon as I get that disturbing matrimony out of the way.

"What happened? Went to ask father dearest to call it off? are you scared, Vanya?" The way my name rolled off his tongue as if he was tasting -and enjoying- with each passing letter every emotion i ever felt was driving me mad. How dare he accuse me of cowardice?

"Don't you dare think you can call me by my name bare just like that, because I will make sure to put you back in your place, Elrodian. And don't you worry, i was just making sure your father dearest wasn't trying to force your hand, I heard he does not give you much of a choice most of the time, how sad is that? A shame, truly." I said, suddenly getting hot and bothered by his simple existence, his words, witty replies, his eyes, his ridiculous smile, and his voice, his enchanting voice... wait! what was that about? enchanting? That absurd man? I must be losing my mind!

Something in the way he looks at me changed, I could not quite name it nor place it, but it was as if his eyes were undressing my anger, undressing all the raw displeasures i was experiencing in his presence, choking my throat and leaving me with a painful lump, he looked at me as if i was his newest enemy. I am not ashamed to say I liked it. Nothing brings me greater joy than to see men in high places crumble and fall right under my feet. I can't wait to break you, Roman.

"Well then, it is decided, you and my son Roman are to be husband and wife!" That despicable man's father spoke after having a long conversation with my father, and i am left to wonder, what the hell would I wear? I have to look my absolute best, after all, that throne is finally closer than ever before.

"We will see to it that this shameless tongue of yours never speaks to me like that ever again, wife." He whispered, standing a little too close to me with curious eyes roaming my face, causing my body to shiver in a way I don't recognize, or like. This is going to be a fun game of the fakest of marriages.

"Easy there, pawn. Father dearest might change his mind any moment, and we both know you'll just have to swallow your pride and walk away with your tail between your legs."

_______________________________________

Hello everyone! I don't normally write any author's notes under my chapters as i'm afraid it might throw you guys off the reading vibe but this chapter was just too fun not to! I truly enjoyed writing it and i am thrilled to know what are your thoughts on it!

what do you guys think about this story this far, and the characters involved?

Hope everyone has a great day! x