Chapter 9.5: Setup?

"Going to school already, Kiyotaka?"

"Yeah, I wouldn't arrive on time if I stay any more longer now that my bike was wrecked."

"I see..." My mother muttered, slightly thinking about something very deeply. The way her body is positioned tells me that I shouldn't leave as of yet as she still has something important thing to say to me.

And so, I stayed silent while waiting for her to finish her own thoughts.

"Oh yeah, Kiyotaka, speaking of which, your birthday is just around the corner isn't it?"

Oh, so she remembers my birthday after all. But it's also possible that she could've asked Madoka when I wasn't around, but that theory isn't exactly convincing knowing the fact that Madoka and I don't even know each others' birthdays in the first place.

But regardless of what her reason could possibly be, I am honestly a bit...glad...? I don't know, but this foreign feelings silently warming up my chest...

Perhaps, this must be the feelings they call as happiness? Or is it because I was deeply expecting for her to not remember it and it betrayed my expectations thus, I am feeling delighted that she somehow remembered? I honestly don't know nor do I have any idea on what it truly is but I hope my hunch this time is correct.

As it appears, what lies underneath the mask of my ruthless, cold, and calculating nature, behind it all is a little boy who yearns for his parent's love and attention.

I now understood it all.

Because of the harsh nature and extreme curriculum of the White Room that I experienced since I was a child, my brain was forced to mature faster than normal and it made a persona, a cold, ruthless, and calculating persona to protect myself; to survive the White Room and to also learn.

Now, this arose a question: What is my true nature exactly? But I suppose now is not the time to think about those things. It'll show up as time comes to pass.

"Hmm, yes. Just looking at your expression just now, Mother, I assume you have something in mind?"

"Hahaha, yes!" My mother laughed, feeling enthusiastic about the plan she had in mind.

"Did you not know that Madoka's birthday is just a week later than yours? October 27th! I was thinking if we could postpone your birthday around in the middle so you and Madoka could celebrate together. How does that sound? You don't mind, right?"

Oh, so it's just that. Of course I wouldn't mind. Especially with the fact that I am not really used to the occasions such as celebrating my birthday, so sharing it with Madoka will at least divide the embarrassment I'll have to deal with in half.

"Of course. I don't mind it the slightest bit. I am even glad."

"Then it is settled~!" My mother smiled happily, feeling even more enthusiastic after hearing my approval of her plan.

"Yes. Then, I will be off now."

"Take care on your way to school, Kiyotaka~! Bye~"

About almost an hour later, I finally arrived at the classroom 20 minutes before the class starts. As soon as I opened the door, almost all of my classmates' head turned towards me and I was approached by a bunch of my classmates.

The air and expression they radiate were so energetic I somehow feel out of place.

"Ayanokouji, my man! Dude, last week's debate was fire!"

"Yeah, to think you'd render Ayase-san with just a single, logical counter-argument! I mean, even Kujou-san was struggling with her and yet you casually shut her off like that! I never knew you had that dog in you, dude!"