Chapter 6

Why are you here…?

As soon as I saw the person standing in front of my door, I stiffened.

“Hi…”

Still, I returned her greeting for now. Then a dazzling smile bloomed on her face.

The lady visiting my home was just like a lily of the valley, bathed in morning dew. Her luscious hair was as thin as silver threads, shining vividly in the midday sun and her light-green eyes contained a freshness like that of newly sprouted leaves. My image was clearly reflected in those very gentle-looking, droopy eyes.[1]

“I’m so happy! I didn’t expect to have a girl of my age living right next door.”

As she said so, her face was filled with delight.

“I’ve moved a few times in the past but each time, there was never anyone around the same age as myself and my younger sister.”

It was as if ‘let’s be friends’ was written in her sparkling eyes. I felt slightly overwhelmed because she seemed to be looking at me like a future friend.

By the way, she definitely introduced herself as Anne-Marie just now, didn’t she? Then, is she really what I think she is? The heroine.

I was suspicious at first but not only was her appearance the same as was described in the novel in my memory, I didn’t think it was possible for two women in the world to have such dazzling, world-class beauty. Furthermore, she was also living with her younger sister.

But why did the heroine move into the house next to mine…?

While I was at loss for words like that, the woman who introduced herself as Anne-Marie proceeded to speak.

“I happened to meet another neighbor just a minute ago and I was told you work at the biggest coffeehouse around here. Is that possibly the shop at the Blue Ferret intersection?”

When I heard the following question, I paused.

“…Yes, you are right.”

After coming out from the institute, I found myself a job and lived like a normal person in my own way. And now, it has been about two years since I moved here and began working at the coffeehouse on Ferret Street.

Back then, when I was thinking about saving some money to quietly settle down somewhere, I picked a day to look for a nice house where I could live alone. Then I stopped by a nearby café for a cup of coffee and tried to relax for the first time in a while. I observed the scenery in my view for a while then I turned around and at some point, my surrounding was teeming with customers. I figured the shop had pretty good business.

However, when I was about to leave, the owner of the café suddenly dashed towards me and asked me if I could work there. Naturally, I felt perplexed and tried to refuse. But the owner so desperately pleaded with me, that if it wasn’t convenient for me, I could just come to the shop and sit down there like I just did. And so, I eventually got a job on this Ferret street with unconventional terms.

I had a day off once a week and today was my day off, hence why I was at home even at this time. So what Anne-Marie heard from the other neighbor was true. I wasn’t quite sure who the ‘other neighbor’ was, but if the information didn’t come from the pawn shop Mister, then it definitely came from the repair shop’s Mrs. Meriel.

Those two were the only people on Grey Ferret St that liked to talk about other people’s matters like that. I warned them last time not to leak my personal information like this, but they really don’t listen.

Ever since I took in the ruin fragments at the institute, my emotions had become somewhat dull. So I wasn’t exactly angry or upset, but the fact that someone was going around spreading details about me was a little annoying.