Chapter 10

I looked at Anne-Marie and gave an apologetic smile.

“I’m afraid I ate before coming back.”

“Oh…is that so?”

She looked sad about it but quickly gave me a smile.

“Then I’m glad you’re not eating too late.”

“Thanks for the offer. If there’s another chance, let’s eat together then.”

Right that instant, the sound of something breaking came through her open window. Anne-Marie turned around in surprise.

I promptly told her.

“I think something broke inside. You should go take a look.”

“I think I’ll do that. Have a good evening then.”

“You too, Anne-Marie.”

A few moments later, her open window was closed with a click before my eyes. The warm light leaking from her house disappeared completely. I lowered my head with a smile on my face. The man was probably still unconscious seeing as there wasn’t even the slightest movement in the flower beds.

“Haa…”

A small sigh escaped my lips.

Should I just let him die…

I agonized before a very tempting option. Most than anything else, this guy was the enemy of my favorite character. I was conflicted for a while, then I thought back to my last day at the research institute and I made up my mind.

Anyway, it was indeed thanks to this guy that I was able to escape from the research institute faster than I expected. And it was also true that the bottom ladder had become a little cleaner since this guy became king of the underworld.

Plus, my whole shtick was one act of good per request.[1]

It just so happens that after finishing a request at dawn this morning, I had been so busy at the coffee house all day, that I was unable to do anything I could call a good deed.

Of course, it wasn’t like someone ordered me to do it or I had to do it, but I felt strangely uncomfortable to just let it pass like this.

Mmm. Guess it can’t be helped. I’ll pick you up, Mr. sub-villain.

I dragged him and went into my house.

Certainly, moving an unconscious, limp, grown man alone was not an easy task. But for me, it was simple.

I attached thin threads that were hard to see with the naked eyes to the man’s body, and while I was taking him into the house, there was virtually no weight I had to bear.

Like that, I entered my house, pulled down the curtains, extended out much more thread than before, and laid the man down on the couch. Then I touched the back of the couch and turned on the light.

Moments later, the face of Lakis Avalon taking in calm, shallow breaths, came into view.

Hmm. Even though he was lying down half-dead, he still looked handsome.

After a bored thought went by, I removed the man’s cloth to look at the wound. An unrealistic sculpture-like body was revealed underneath but this time, I didn’t feel particularly inspired. My gaze merely stayed on the deep wound carved across his chest.

Not that I was looking down on the heroine, but this was definitely not something ordinary treatment could fix. However, I knew just how the heroine had treated Lakis.

Like me, she had the power of the ruin’s fragment. Of course, even if that was the case, it didn’t mean that Anne-Marie was experimented in a lab like me.