Chapter 9

Yuri usually got off work at 6pm. But since there was a special situation today, she had to close the store instead of Gilbert. The streets of the evening dusk were completely quiet and dark. Yuri walked along the calm street, feeling the unique quietness of the night.

Crunch…

Then suddenly, she felt a movement behind her, like she was being followed. Her indifferent red eyes shifted slightly to the side. It didn’t seem like a coincidence, so she was indeed right in thinking that someone was following her.

From the looks of it, it was probably the guy from not too long ago…

‘Now, what should I do?’

Yuri wondered for a while. But she soon got tired of even thinking about it, so she tossed it aside. It had been quite some time since she went home late after work and she was a little tired mentally, so she didn’t want to deal with anyone.

She deliberately entered a remote alley. Some moments later, the same footsteps that were following her approached. As soon as the person entered the alley, Yuri pulled on her thread.

“Uck!”

The thread coiled around the man’s neck and tightened like a noose around an animal.  Deprived of oxygen, the man quickly fainted.

Yuri bound him with coils of her thread and tossed him inside the nearby garbage dump. As a free bonus, he was also gagged so he wouldn’t make any sound.

“I’ll deal with you tomorrow. I don’t feel like it today.”

Her lifeless red eyes were the only things glowing in the dark alley. After a while, she walked out of the shadowy narrow alley and continued down the dark streets.

* * *

The moon is particularly bright today.

I stared at the round moon beaming high up in the sky. It had been exactly five months and 24 days since the heroine, Anne-Marie moved in next door. And in the meantime, my day-to-day life hadn’t changed much.

I worked in the nearby coffeehouse from morning to evening, then I either returned home to rest, or took care of a request I was given. It was a monotonous routine that always ran in a similar manner.

Perhaps someone else would call it boring and uninteresting but it was very satisfying for someone like me who was pursuing ordinariness. It would be even better if I didn’t have lunatics like that guy earlier, following me sometimes to try and pull crap.

“Hm?”

But for some reason, I saw a bunch of pretty yellow threads in front of my house. Feeling suspicious, I approached for a closer look and realized that it wasn’t threads but someone’s head. At first, I thought it was a drunk.

“Excuse me. You can’t do this here…”

However, the moment I looked over the man’s body with annoyance, I froze in place.

‘This crazy—?’

Before I knew it, I almost cursed aloud, despite not having done so in a long time. Still, I tried to calm myself down, then I re-checked the address on the nameplate.

[44 Grey Ferret street – B04]

No matter how hard I look, this was definitely my house. So what is this? Why was this guy in front of my house?

This face was definitely the same face I had seen at the research institute. Of course, the beautiful boy from back then had transformed into a manlier , handsome young man as years passed, but he had such an overwhelming presence that it was impossible to mistake him for someone else.