Chapter 27

Yuri felt Lakis’ gaze following behind her, but she didn’t turn around till she opened the door to her room and went in.

Click, Slam!

Soon, Yuri leaned on the closed door of her room. Air slightly colder than that of the living room hit her wet cheeks.

Yuri lifted her hand and wiped off the tears that were making her skin cold. After the short dream-like moment passed, a familiar emptiness filled her heart.

As to whether this was a good thing or not, she couldn’t tell right now.

* * *

Maybe she was to blame, but the air in the house the next morning was a little awkward.

“Good morning, Mr. Lakis.”

Yuri greeted him first, her face calm as if nothing had happened the previous night.

Lakis lay sidewise on the sofa, and stared at her expressionless face quietly for a while before replying:

[Yeah, good morning.]

The both of them decided to just ignore the events from yesterday.

“Well then, I’m off to work.”

A while later, Yuri walked out the door at the same time as usual.

[Take care.]

Lakis leaned against the sofa and saw Yuri off like that.

Yuri’s feet going through the front door stopped for a moment. She briefly glanced back at Lakis then she left.

* * *

After Yuri left the house, Lakis quietly listened to the departing footsteps. It was still early in the morning. Outside was a little restless with people who were just about to start their day.

Lakis covered his wound with his arm and raised his still aching body from the seat. His footsteps were silent as he moved to the window. He hid himself in the shadow of the window and peeked out through the slight crack of the curtains.

His blue eyes were cold and sharp under the sun, like a broken film over a lake. The air around him was so cold that it was hard to believe he was the seemingly harmless and gentle person that was seeing the house owner off just moments ago.

—Hey, Lakis? I really didn’t do anything strange yesterday. Really!

After Yuri left, the bug got a hint of Lakis’ mood and made excuses once again.

Its shriveled voice sounded deflated, with a weak sense of accusation mixed in. Lakis had grilled and mentally tortured it overnight so of course, the voice in his head was a little depressed when it talked to him.

The reason for this was naturally due to what happened to Yuri last night. Yuri appeared strange while holding Lakis’ hand last night and she had even teared up; that sight still lingered before his eyes.

Lakis was also aware that yesterday’s events weren’t due to the parasite in his body carrying out some other scheme. But even then, he couldn’t figure out what the hell that was yesterday. But at least, he was relieved to see she was feeling okay before she left for work.

—By the way, are you really going out?

‘Yeah.’

The voice in his head then asked, changing the subject.

As it said, Lakis was planning on going out today. Of course, as his body wasn’t fully recovered yet, it would be too much if he pushed himself. But even if that was the case, he couldn’t remain hands-off like this.