Chapter 8

It didn’t take long for me to sprinkle sauce on the neatly stacked chopped ingredients in the sandwich, then cover it with bread. After that, I collected the carelessly entangled threads in front of me.

Within a minute, dinner was ready.

With that finished, I picked up my tray and moved to the room in my house with the best view of the sunset. There was a river than ran behind the house, making it a bright and open view. It was also the reason why the rent on Grey Ferret street was so expensive.

Clatter.

I placed the tray on the window frame, sat on the very cozy armchair in front of the window, and gazed outside. A rich golden-hued wave waned brightly before my eyes.

‘How peaceful.’

My heart which had grown a little restless due to meeting the heroine, became calm again. Like that, I enjoyed a leisurely dinner while watching the sunset, then when I was finished, I stood up.

Tak!

My feet hit something, and I looked down. A smooth, wooden carved arm fell into my sight.

There were several crumpled mannequin dolls scattered all over the room I was in. Because I had purposely made them to look like real people, there were times when even I was surprised when I came into this room in the dark.

I worked as a coffee shop clerk during the day and at night, I used my ability to work in the underworld. My ability as Arachne was pretty useful so I occasionally received requests and was paid for solving them.

These dolls were also things I’d prepared as part of that. The rumor about a ghost living in the house next door came about because I was a bit careless in using Arachne’s power when I first moved to this Ferret street. I was using threads to move things in the house and manipulating the dolls to act like real people in the empty house next door and that sight was caught by a neighbor. Thanks to that, silly rumors arose about ghosts living in this neighborhood.

However, since someone had now moved into the house next door, the rumors will likely quiet down.

I kicked the doll’s arm on the floor again, shoving it in a corner.

Right. There was no reason for me to particularly involved with the characters in the novel. I can just keep going about my day like I had been doing so far.

That was what I thought to myself quite serenely, at the time.

I didn’t even know that my sweet peace would be completely shattered within less than half a year, of becoming neighbors with the heroine.

Part 3: And that’s how the Villain and I…

“Haa…”

It was a night covered in a thick blanket of darkness.

A man staggered along a dark and obscure alley that didn’t even get a ray of moonlight. His breaths were labored as his frame melted into his dim shadow.

“So…noisy. Shut up already.”

Even though there wasn’t anyone around him, the man muttered to himself from time to time, like he was hearing things.(1)

Stumble…

The man’s body was covered in blood, but his clothes were black, and his surroundings were very dark, making it unnoticeable. But surprisingly enough, every drop of the man’s blood that fell to the floor, quickly disappeared without a trace.