Chapter 25

Part 5: Midnight festival, a thrilling night with the villain

-

"Mr. Gilbert."

"Hm?"

"Shake hands with me."

Although bewildered by my sudden request, Gilbert held out his hand. And I swiftly grabbed it. But as expected, I didn't feel anything here either.

Honestly, it wasn't only Gilbert I'd tried this with, I'd held hands with others with the excuse of a handshake. But it was all the same, it didn't get much of a feeling.

I expected this, but it seems that strange phenomenon only occurred when I came into contact with Lakis.

"Ms. Yuri, there's a spring festival opening this weekend, would you like to go with me?"

"A festival?"

And Anne-Marie, who I met on my way home that day, invited me.

"Yeah. I heard there'll even be fireworks at night. Ms. Yuri has lived here longer than me, so you've already gone before right?"

Ah, come to think of it, Anne-Marie is from the south, so I guess she's never experienced an eastern festival. Of course, I have been to an eastern spring festival. But unlike what Anne-Marie thought, I didn't go to enjoy the festival but to work as Arachne.

Although the spring festival was the largest festival of the year in the east, there was a secret auction held at that time using it as a shade. And one of my regular clients used to commission me as a proxy to get something from the auction house every year.

I don't just do jobs to crush, beat, torture or kill people, you know.

Anyway. I haven't yet heard from the client this time but I'm pretty sure they'll make the same request this year.

"Thankfully, I have a day off that day and Hestia wants to go so she's coming along. So if that's okay with you..."

"I have something else to do then."

"Oh...you do?"

Uh, did I refuse too firmly?
A shadow fell over Anne-Marie's smiling face. Seeing her look depressed, my heart weakened a little.

"I'll come after I finish what I have to do although it might be late."

"Really?"

Her face was sparkling again.

She really had such a variety of expressions. So it was fun to look at her. That aside, when it comes to a festival, there's something typical about it. Didn't it sound like just the place with an overwhelming chance for an incident to happen?

Especially in romance novels, there was a very high possibility of an episode unfolding with no regular material or typical situations. Wasn't there an episode in "Chain of Flowers", where the female lead was chased by some crazy homicidal maniac during the fall harvest festival?

Hmm...
Now that I think about it, that's probably because the genres of this novel are romance and thriller. While other romance novel heroines went around with love flags tightly bound to them, Anne-Marie used to carry around death flags. Of course, after such an incident happened, she would be entwined with one of the male lead candidates, resulting in deepened feelings.

But it's strange when you think about it.

The east was obviously the region with the best public order and safety among all the regions but then you have orphanages going missing, crazy murderers and criminals popping up all over like it's nothing and dominating throughout the city?