Chapter 16

Yuri did not ask for a specific reason either. Of course, it wasn’t out of consideration for Lakis but because she already had a rough idea about his situation and didn’t see the need.

“No problem. Neighbors should help each other out.”

Of course, the reason Yuri even helped was because of the heroine, not for the villain, Lakis’ sake.

Lakis grimaced from time to time, possibly because of a headache, then he wrote on the paper again. This had been on her mind since she first saw him write, but he surprisingly had really good handwriting.

[I’m sorry but can you tell me exactly where we are right now?]

Right. He was definitely wondering how safe this place was and whether he was a sufficient distance from Carnot.

“We’re at Grey Ferret. It’s located southeast.”

Hearing that, his blue eyes moved away from Yuri, like he had remembered something. However, something was strange.

‘…Why is he so polite?’

This was the guy who treated Anne-Marie almost like his dog at first in the novel.[1]

Lakis recognized Anne-Marie’s good-naturedness at a glance and initially made light of her. So he would call her with one finger, and the saint-like heroine would attend to him, doing everything he said like an actual dog, because he wore the mask of a ‘patient’.

Because of this, Yuri was curious whether he would dare to act like that with her too, but to think he would be so polite…

It was quite unexpected. Maybe he sensed that Yuri’s personality was not as good as Anne-Marie’s.

Somehow, Lakis seemed to be agonizing over something for a while. The signs of worry on his innocent face made him look handsome all over again, and Yuri felt amazed once again. Then soon enough, Lakis began to move the pen in his hand, writing slowly.

[I know it’s brazen of me to ask but I don’t think it’s possible for me to move right now as I am yet to recover.]

Yuri watched the words on the paper increase.

[May I owe you for a few more days?]

Following that, his clear blue eyes fixed themselves on Yuri’s frame. The melancholy on his face made her want to nod her head immediately and do whatever he asked. Intentionally or not, Lakis was using his handsomeness right now.

Yuri immediately replied.

“Sure, go ahead. That’s fine with me.”

The reply came more readily than expected, causing Lakis to pause. As a matter of fact, Yuri had answered almost on impulse.

‘…Hey, did you use your power again?’

Lakis snuck a glance at Yuri with a grim air of suspicion.

—I didn’t do anything!

The downcast voice that was heaping curses on him just a second ago angrily denied.

Well, true. Lakis hadn’t sensed anything strange a little while ago. Nevertheless, he still had his doubts.

Yuri didn’t have the slightest intention of giving such a reply only a few hours ago. If Lakis had made this request yesterday, her answer would have been very different. However, now, the odd phenomenon that occurred when she held his hand was clearly imprinted in her mind. Her hand twitched with a desire to grab his hand once again and reconfirm that feeling right away.

Lakis carefully scrutinized Yuri’s face then he wrote a note of thanks this time.

[Thank you very much. I will definitely repay you for your kindness.]