Love Letter

[ HIGHSCHOOL AU ]
sonic and shadow are 15

"Hehe.."

The black and red hedgehog's ear twitched at the sound of someone snickering as he walked down the crowded hall, making him furrow a brow as he glanced at his surroundings, inspecting the groups of people around him as they talked to each other. With his search seemingly coming up with nothing, he quickly brushed it off and turned his head back in front of him. Not long after, he saw a blue streak dash past him, making him almost be knocked over to the side from the intense speed of the person. Shadow quickly caught his balance and growled under his breath in annoyance, looking behind him only to see no one as the streak the person left had disappeared.

However, this person was no mystery to Shadow.

Shadow simply sighed and facepalmed at his boyfriend's antics, wondering what the azure hedgehog was getting up to this time. The ebony hedgehog shook his head to snap himself out of his train of thought as he continued walking, eventually reaching his locker, his destination. As he opened it and looked inside, he was simply expecting his usual books. Which were still there, thankfully.

However, the first thing his eyes met was some kind of envelope.

Shadow blinked in confusion.

..What was this doing here?

A drop of sweat rolled down Shadow's cheek as he reached out for the envelope, taking it in his gloved hand as he inspected it. The labeling on it quickly caught his attention.

WARNING!! This letter contains highly-sensitive information!!

He could feel more visible question marks forming on the top of his head before reading further.

For a certain black hedgehog's eyes only! ;)

Said hedgehog's confused expression quickly dropped to an unamused one. Of course.. that Sonic was the one who wrote this. Hearing more of the distant snickering from behind him, he simply sighed and opened the envelope. Shadow had to admit, he was a little curious to see what exactly the blue hedgehog had written for him.

His eyes scanned over the words written on the paper.

Heya, Shad!

He let out a huff. Could this hedgehog get any more obvious..? Nonetheless, he continued reading.

Love you lots! ♡

...

And that was it.

Shadow blushed a little at the contents aside, about to wonder why Sonic would randomly give this to him in a letter instead of just saying it to him directly before a familiar voice calling out to him caught his attention.

"Heeeyyy Shaadss!~"

The black hedgehog sighed, turning to face the azure one that was now running to his direction. Sonic skidded to a halt, a goofy wide grin on his face as he stared at his ebony counterpart.

"What's up, hmm?" Shadow opened his mouth to talk about the letter until Sonic continued speaking. "Oho? What's that ya got there?"

The blue hedgehog snatched the envelope from his hand without warning, leaving him standing there with a blank expression, mouth closing back as Sonic read the contents for himself.

"Heey.. is this a love letter from some kinda secret admirer of yours?"

Sonic pouted playfully, looking back towards Shadow who stared at him unamused.

The hedgehog decided to just play along.

"Yep.." Shadow sighed, crossing his arms. "I sure do wonder who it could have been from. Absolutely nothing about their writing rings a bell whatsoever."

Quickly catching on, a smirk formed on Sonic's face as he swayed the envelope in his hand in the air, other hand on his hip. "Oh, really? Think ya can guess who it is, then?"

Shadow put a finger to his chin as he went silent for a few moments, pretending to be in thought before continuing to speak. "Hm. I don't know, I'm sure it's right at the tip of my tongue..."

"Really? Describe 'em to me, maybe?" Sonic's smirk grew, his eyes going half-lidded and leaning slightly closer to the black hedgehog's face. Shadow could feel slight warmth in his cheeks from the action, but he just ignored it.

"Well... They're a hedgehog," Shadow put up one finger. "mooostt likely blue," The hedgehog put up another finger, continuing to put more and more fingers up as he listed more obvious traits that belonged to the one and only.

"probably has a dumb looking face, an idiot, makes annoying jokes,.."

The ebony hedgehog went on and on, making Sonic's face gradually form from a smug expression into an upset pout.

"Wha- Shaadss, heeeeyyy!"

[ 717 WORDS ]