Wacky Mission Things

i cannot remember where i found the image above but i think i found it on twt 😭😭oopsie daisies

A black hedgehog sat at his desk, eyes half-lidded with visible eyebags as he worked on a load of paperwork that an annoying little bat he knew dumped on his desk as requested by the Commander. It's been thirty minutes and he was already mostly done with the abundance of paperwork, he wasn't one of the most efficient workers at G.U.N for nothing after all. Still, the work was definitely considered a headache and a fat pain in the ass for him. All he wanted to do was go home and possibly sleep in.

Shadow held his forehead, elbow propped up on his desk as he continued to almost mindlessly write and write a report for a solo mission he had gone on. He couldn't exactly feel sleepy, but he definitely could feel physically tired as his body was practically begging to be given rest. Nonetheless, he let out a heavy sigh and wrote the last few lines of the report in a hurry to finally finish it before quickly sliding it aside like some kind of machine with the rest of the other papers he had finished.

With that, he quickly stood up from his chair, about to give himself a very needed break until hearing the door of his office open. He could feel his eye twitch.

"Oh?" Rouge giggled, quickly noticing the hedgehog's very annoyed state. "Sorry if I interrupted something, but the Commander needs you in his office, darling."

Shadow's eye twitched again at the information before closing his eyes shut, taking a deep breath as he slowly sat back down onto his chair, face in his hands.

"I'll be there in a minute," The hedgehog let out an irritated sigh as his eyes cracked open. "What exactly is the Commander calling me into his office for?"

"For another mission, of course." At that, Shadow groaned in annoyance as he dropped his head down onto his desk. The bat simply chuckled, about to close the door before speaking again. "Oh, and expect to see a surprise person when you get there~"

Shadow sat there in silence as his ear twitched from the sound of the door being closed, taking in Rouge's words.

...A surprise person?

Of course, Shadow didn't exactly mind working with other people, despite preferring to do things on his own. Sometimes it's better and more efficient to have a partner to work with. At least if they were tolerable enough and didn't slow him down too much that is. Thankfully, anyone he worked with in the past managed to at least fit his criteria, and even then he would more than often work with Rouge and Omega anyway. Shadow wondered why Rouge would keep the identity of his mission partner a secret, though. She definitely knew something he didn't.

And that annoyed him. Obviously, the bat was up to something and he couldn't stand her specifically being one step ahead of him.

After a full minute of overthinking, Shadow finally found the energy within him to force himself to sluggishly stand up from his chair, which he would then reach out for and grab an abandoned half-drunk cup of coffee to gulp the remaining contents down, hoping to regain some of his energy only to be met with the disgusting taste of cold liquid go down his throat which only made him feel worse. His face scrunched up from the feeling as his ears drooped, putting the now empty cup back in its place before walking out of his office with a frown and his ears pinned to the sides of his head, exhausted and grumpy.

After closing the door behind him, he would stand in place for a moment, shaking his head and letting out a quick sigh as if to gain his composure back before finally getting a move on over to the Commander's office. If it were any other time, Shadow wouldn't really have minded and probably would have been a bit expectant at the thought of going on another mission, but he was straight up annoyed and wanted to get the trip over and done with just so he could finish the mission as fast as possible. Despite all the stress and irritation built up inside him, he maintained a straight poker face the entire way, and before he knew it he was now in front of the door he was almost dreadful to see.