Sonic's Love Life

[SONIC BOOM AU]

"...Sooo, what's that one then?"

The blue hedgehog pointed towards the dark sky, painted with an endless amount of sparkling bright dots, each one known for being able to form a pattern that represents a unique shape, and with that, a unique story made up by the limitless imagination. A constellation.

The ebony hedgehog sitting next to him on the hill would certainly know several of those stories, all of the information he processed from stargazing all the time also being fed to him by his dear friend back in the past, which he would sometimes feed to his partner. If he was in the mood for it. This moment being one of those rare times.

"...Gemini. The twins. Castor and Pollux."

"Why do these guys always gotta have such complicated names?"

"They're not complicated. It's just that your tiny brain can't seem to wrap around them." Shadow's tongue clicked, before which he felt obligated to start rambling like a nerd. "And before you disgust me more with how horribly uneducated you are, 'Gemini' stands for twins in Latin, and Castor and Pollux are Greek mythological twins, their mother was named Leda. However, they had two separate fathers. Tyndareus was..."

As Sonic listened to Shadow's retelling of the interesting yet semi-horrific story of the twins associated with the constellation, he stared with half-lidded eyes, his hands cupping his cheeks as his elbows rested on his knees, his feet swinging back and forth from the edge of the hill. From an outside perspective, he looked insanely bored out of his mind, but he was kind of interested in the stories his boyfriend was telling him, as opposed to anyone else who would try telling him about their day for longer than five minutes...

Of course, Shadow got special treatment. Sonic didn't see himself as a cheesy romantic guy (and certainly would never admit the possibility that he just liked listening to Shadow's voice), he just thought that whenever Shadow talked about something, it was mildly amusing, with the way he would randomly insert his own witty comments and criticisms while going on an entire monologue about it.

It was endearing, in a funny and somewhat annoying way. But it was annoying in a cute way.

Jeez, this hog was madly in love...

Shadow's ear twitched once he heard the rustling of bushes from behind them, still continuing to ramble to the blue hedgehog. Despite that, the possibility of someone else besides him and his dumb boyfriend being nearby made him more on guard of the surroundings around them, ears perked up higher than usual and occasionally bending behind him to catch any more noise from behind easier. Sonic didn't really notice or bother to comment on it, too busy unconsciously admiring his boyfriend like an idiot.

The black hedgehog scowled a bit when he paused in the middle of the story he was telling, starting to suspect that the noise from earlier was just from the wildlife and that he was paranoid. He simply started speaking again.

Until he heard what sounded like the quiet snap of a camera.

While the sound also went unnoticed by Sonic, it certainly didn't by Shadow. The black hedgehog's ear twitched, trailing off from his rambling when he snapped his head towards the dark lining of tall trees, materialized a Chaos Spear into his hands from thin air, and aimed straight at the bushes where a gasp and the sound of the mystery person running off was heard.

The azure hedgehog from next to him flinched, snapping out of his daydream as he stared at Shadow, befuddled until he looked towards where he was glaring.

"...The hell was that?"

"Someone was watching us," Shadow stated, dusting his hands off as he stood to his feet. "I didn't notice until they started scurrying off... Tch."