☽︎Relics☾︎

...

Lydia held an ID card that Liam and Corey had found a few night back which belonged to Jake Sullivan, a sophomore that had some shared classes with younger members of the pack and who Corey and Mason had witnessed being taken by the ghost riders. "It's a relic." She named for Malia, Y/n, and Scott.

"What's a relic?" Malia asked.

"An object with a fixed association to the past. Jake's ID was left behind after he was taken."

"Phoebe's bracelet was abandoned on her bedroom floor." Y/n added.

"How can someone be erased, and still leave something behind?" Malia wondered.

"A conservation of mass." Lydia explained. "The total mass of any isolated system remains constant."

"It's like energy. It's not created or destroyed, just shifted, moved, but always there." Y/n said.

"So even the ghost riders have a weakness." Scott realized.

"A relic would prove that Stiles existed." Malia grabbed the card from Lydia.

"And maybe we can bring him back." Y/n couldn't help the hope and anxiety that was squeezing at her insides. She didn't really understand why she cared so much, and she didn't know why the thought of not getting back this 'Stiles' made her feel like she just might crumble to bits.

...

Y/n had taken the ID to Noah with a peculiar request. "You want to search my house?" He repeated.

"The victims of the riders are leaving things behind." Y/n began to explain as she stood in front of his desk. "So if Stiles left anything-"

"Why- why would it be there?"

"People can't just be erased. They always leave something behind. This is your family's nickname, that can't really be a coincidence. Can it?" She was practically pleading with him to at least consider the idea, and it seemed to work.

"I couldn't sleep last night. So, um, I got up, figured I'd do some paperwork. The files were in the back of my car. So I- I go to the garage, and some junk has fallen off a shelf and I- I stubbed my toe on an old baseball bat. Without thinking I yelled a name."

"Stiles."

With just a bit of skepticism Noah let Y/n go to his house so she could try to find something that seemed out of the ordinary for a married couples home. Y/n glanced around the living room, eventually moving to the fireplace where a few photos of Noah and Claudia sat. "Is there anything I can do to help?" Claudia asked suddenly, Y/n turned to face her.

"No, I think I've got it, Mrs. Stilinski." Y/n denied.

"Well, good luck. I'll leave you to it." Claudia smiled before leaving the room, leaving Y/n to frown after the woman. There was just something nagging at the back of her mind. Something felt almost... Empty about her. Y/n lightly shook her head, that's not what she needed to focus on now.