What Is That?

Y/N POV:

Whimpering. That was the first thing I heard. I trudged through the leaves to see a lone wolf pup on the ground. A chain on his leg and a muzzle on his snout. A grey wolf pup... I gave out a silent gasp and carefully approached the poor creature. Seeming aware of my presence, the dog lifts its head and tries to move away from me. I slowly lifted my hands and went down on my knees to show that I was not a threat to him.

"Hush, hush..." I cooed softly, "I'm not going to hurt you..." I lowered my hands and carefully reached for my communicator in my back pocket. A small device that can easily slip over the ear and hear what other creatures say. My own handmade creation.

I put it over my ear and turned it on. "Stay away from me!" The pup's whimpers turn to words. I studied the wolf to see him trembling, "I'm not going to hurt you. I want to help." The wolf gazes at me, wary, "What are you going to do?"

I reached for the chain on his leg, "I'm going to get this off you." I lock eyes with him, "Do you have a name?" I needed to distract the pup as I worked. The grey wolf shook his head, "I don't have one..." He whimpered again.

CLICK!

The pup looks down to see the chain is off, but I still have to remove the foul muzzle. I reached behind the pup's ears, searching for the clasp, "I can give you one." I offered. The dog lowers his head, and I spot one of the clasps.

"What name would you give me?"

I hummed in thought. My mind bounced between the mechanism and a suitable name for the wolf. Let's see here, a grey wolf with no reputation, possibly abandoned by his parents. I looked at the wolf for a second. Grey...

"How does... Grey sound?"

"Grey?" The pup confusingly questions, lifting an eyebrow at me. I nodded as the last clasp came undone. I slip the muzzle off, and the wolf pup shakes his head. I look down at the wolf as he stares back at me, "I like Grey. What's your name?"

I grinned awkwardly at Grey, leaning back on my legs, nervous to say my name

I grinned awkwardly at Grey, leaning back on my legs, nervous to say my name. Grey stretches, walks up to me, and smiles, "Can I stay with you? I don't have any family..." His smile drops after muttering those last few words. I nodded my head, "Of course, you can. I would love to have a companion with me." I stood up and brushed the leaves off my pants. Together, we trudged through the woods, trees hiding our figures in the shadows.