The Reaping

I carefully stroke my fingers over the pink fabric of my dress. It's hideous. My mother bought it for my reaping. Today. The reaping is supposed to take place in just a few hours. I take a long breath. This is supposed to be what I want, what every child dreams of. So why do I have this lump in my stomach? I quickly dragged my hand back, like the dress was going to electrify me if I touched it any longer.

I decided to take a long shower and clean every inch of my body. They would clean me up in the capital too but I wanted it to be on my own terms, possibly for the last time. It hit me like a knife in my stomach that I might never come home again. I closed my eyes and let the hot water stream down my body and out the drain together with my thoughts.

I quickly dried my golden hair with a towel and brushed out my slightly tangled hair. My hair was glowy and smooth as silk thanks to the many products we had the luxury to buy. I know not everyone in my district has the money to have four different conditioners. I sat down in front of my mirror and started to put some makeup on. I tried to make it look natural, only with a little extra glimmer. When I was done with putting the makeup on I looked at myself. Golden hair, pink lips, perfect nose, green eyes and a body to die for. I knew the people in the capital would think I was pretty. Maybe even gorgeous.

I dropped the towel on the floor and got dressed in that god forbidden dress. I could easily choose another dress from my closet, it wasn't like I didn't have options. But for some reason I couldn't do that to my mother. She barely acknowledged me if I didn't do well in the academy or talked about the excitement to volunteer this year. I wanted her to look at me and be proud. So I got dressed like she wanted me to and headed out to the living area where my mother, father and our maid Topaz were waiting. A smile creeped out on my mother's face as she saw me. "Glimmer! You look absolutely gorgeous" she said. She gave me a short hug and I couldn't help but smile. She was proud of me. My dad got up after a while of studying me and gave me a little longer hug. My stomach twisted as his hands were dangerously low on my back. I quickly broke away from the hug and started walking towards the door. He was my dad but I've never liked the way he watched or touched me.

We all sat down in the car, my mother beside me, father in the passenger seat and Topaz in the driver's seat. It was considered poor driving your own car and therefore we made Topaz drive it every time. I like Topaz. She's an old lady, maybe in her fifties, with blonde hair starting to get gray with age. She has always taken care of me. I trust her with my life. But I haven't dared to tell her about my doubts about the game. We're careers, we're supposed to live and thrive for the chance to anticipate in the games. So I kept it quiet. No one will ever know about it.

I exited the car slowly, wanting to drag it out for as long as I could. My mother quickly showed up by my side and started talking excitedly about the possible male volunteers for this year. I didn't listen, frankly I couldn't care any less, I would have to kill them at the end anyway. I hoped whoever the male tribute would be he wouldn't be an absolute mess. I would have to team up with him for the first half and my life would be so much easier if he could kill at least someone in the blood bath. "Honey? Are you going to sign in?" my mother asked as I froze for a minute. I nodded and started walking towards the makeshift table. The peacekeepers quickly prick my finger and press it on a paper with my name. I then started walking towards the other seventeen year old girls.

I hoped for my name to be drawn since someone else would most likely volunteer in my place. Our mayor has just started the annual speech about the treaty of treason. When the movie's done our escort Ruby takes place on the scene. She has a long white silk dress which makes her look almost like a goddess. Ruby doesn't look like most of the citizens from the capital. She looks beautiful without all the new trends and she knows it. "Welcome welcome to the reaping of the 74th Hunger Games" she says as the crowd starts cheering. "Wow, look at this place, you really outdid yourselves this year district 1. Now, shall we begin?" she asks as the crowd once again starts cheering.

Ruby starts walking towards the glass bowl filled with the names of possible female tributes. My name is in there. My name is in there six times to be exact. We always had the luxury of food on the table so I never had to put my name in a few extra times. I know it's common for people in other districts to do it. It doesn't really matter to me anyway since we always have volunteers. Ruby sticks her hand in the bowl and picks up a small piece of paper. She clears her throat as she says "And this year's female tribute is..." Please say my name, please say my name. I almost feel embarrassed about how much of a coward I am. "Chanel Bower" My hand shot up in the sky without thinking. "I volunteer as a tribute" I say automatically. I knew I was first. No one else was quick enough to raise their hands. "Oh well, welcome to the stage. What's your name?" Ruby asks. "Glimmer Belcourt" I say with a confident voice. I walked onto the stage with the biggest flashiest smile. Everyone started cheering and screaming my name. I got it now. This is why we volunteer. Nothing makes me feel as good as when a whole crowd is screaming my name. "Give a warm applause for our female tribute Glimmer!" Ruby almost screams with excitement. I was trained for this. My whole life I have been working to get here. I'm supposed to be here. "And now for the boys..." Ruby says as she walks to the other glass bowl. But before she even opened the paper someone started screaming. "I VOLUNTEER AS A TRIBUTE" The voice comes from a kind of skinny boy with blond hair. Marvel. I roll my eyes as he starts walking onto the stages. He doesn't even wait to be called. I can't help but bite my lip out of frustration. He's embarrassing the whole district. He starts cheering and jumping around and a hesitant crowd starts to cheer with him. "Oh very well I think we have a male tribute, what's your name young man?" Ruby asks. "Marvel Sanford" he says with a cocky smile. I never liked Marvel. He's an okay fighter but he's also an ass. He is always way too touchy with me and I don't like his attitude. "Give an applause for our two new tributes!" Ruby says as everyone starts screaming and cheering. It felt good. I like when people like me. And now they adore me.

We started walking towards the justice building. We're supposed to say goodbye to our loved ones. I'm convinced they won't show up. It just gives me motivation to come back home. And I was right. No one cares to come visit us. Not even Marvel's parents or friends show up. I feel a lump starting to build in my throat. My parents don't love me. My friends don't love me. I look down at my hands. They're shaking a little bit so I take a deep breath and start smiling, like I'm taught. It helps and the lump is soon long gone. I fiddle with the ring I let the smith make me before the reaping. It's my district totem, but little do they know it's spiked with poison. They might think I'm a stupid blonde girl but I am so much more than that. They will underestimate me because of my looks but I will show them. And they will regret ever doubting me.