The Arena

TW s/a

(This will probably the last chapter in a while since I'm going on a vacation with my friends)

I woke up before the sun had started to rise. It was still dark and so very.. peaceful. The citizens had been partying the whole night, filling the streets with laughter and music. It was so very quiet and still when they finally had gone to bed. I decided to put on a pink silk robe and a comfortable pair of slippers. I didn't care to brush my hair since everyone was still asleep. I opened my door as quietly as I could and tiptoed through the living room and entered the elevator. Finally I could breathe out. I pushed the bottom and the elevator started to move. I liked how my stomach started to tickle when it caught up to speed. I resisted the urge to push the bottom again. Instead I got out and was hit by the cold air.

I was on the thirteenth floor, a big terrace. I started walking towards the edge when I saw a figure standing there. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the minimal light but after a while I realised it was Clove. I froze for a second and debated on whether I should approach her or just go back to sleep. Apparently she could sense my presence because she turned around and watched me in silence. I couldn't back off now or she would think I was scared of her. I walked up to the railing where she was standing. "Nice clothes Glim Glam" she said in a sarcastic tone. Seriously, what is up with everyone and that nickname? "I didn't think anyone would be up here" I said as I watched the view of the empty city. "Well you were wrong". I could almost hear her roll her eyes. "Clearly" I said calmly. I wouldn't allow her to get in my head, especially not when it's just a few hours till we enter the arena. I recognised this sort of behaviour though. She was insecure and hid behind vicious words so she would seem more confident than she was. Clove was probably just as scared as anyone else. She was one of the younger tributes, but only two years younger than me. I wondered how they allowed her to volunteer. Usually we have to graduate from the academy first. I had graduated early and was promised the chance to volunteer. There was no way this girl had finished it already, no matter how skilled she was.

"I know you hate me" I started. She didn't answer me nor acknowledge my presence. I needed to get close with her before the game. Maybe I could use my ring on her too when the time comes. So I continued. "We need to have each other's back in there, no matter how much you hate me. We have to hunt like a pack and it won't work if you never talk to me". She still didn't say anything. I rolled my eyes and started walking back towards the elevator. A firm hand grasped my wrist. "Wait" she said. She let go of my wrist and sighed loudly. "Listen. I don't trust you. And I don't care if you die. But it does look like we're stuck together for a while". I didn't quite know what she meant by that but I guess we're good. She continued to look at me for a brief second and then returned to stare out in the open night. Night would be to exaggerate. The sun had slowly started to rise -  casting a pretty rosy hue across the morning sky. Golden fingers of sunlight lit up the city and the previously sleeping birds had woken up, filling the quiet town with chatter. I let out a sigh. It was so peaceful, even though I was standing next to someone who wanted me dead.

I didn't know for how long we were standing there but I knew I had to get back to the apartment. "We should probably get back before everyone wakes up" I said. She only gave me a dirty look and said "so go?". I really can't stand this girl. I huffed and got onto the elevator. I pushed the button and that funny feeling appeared again when the elevator started moving. It stopped on the second floor even though I knew I had pushed the "1" button. Weird. The doors opened and Cato was standing there in just a t-shirt and underwear. His blonde hair was tousled and he had a worried look on his face. "Have you seen Clove?" he asked. Poor boy must have been worried sick when she wasn't in her room. "Yeah she's on the terrace". I saw how his body immediately relaxed. I realised how much he cared about her. He would never admit it to anyone but I could tell. "Go back to bed Cato". He gave me a small smile and a nod. He then turned around and started walking back towards his bedroom.