The Capitol

Marvel and I almost ran when we tried to keep up with Ruby's long legs. She was leading us towards the train that will take us to the capital. When she finally slowed down Marvel took my hand. He kissed it and said "Ladies first". I wanted to smack that cocky smile off his face. But I didn't. Instead I smiled and giggled. There's cameras everywhere and I'll let them think I'm useless, let them think it's easy to seduce me. I will kill Marvel when he least expects it.

I can smell something really delicious when we enter the train. A table filled with food was set in the middle of the train. Two very well known faces were also there. Gloss and Cashmere. The two victory siblings. Actually the only two sibling victors known in the history of the Hunger Games. They're kind of a legend and I feel the excitement bubbling in my stomach. I always looked up to them both but especially Cashmere. She was the winner of the 64th year. The arena was a spooky spider forest filled with wolves, tarantulas, and mutts that looked like vampires. For whatever reason, the spiders would move exceedingly quickly, had enormous fangs, and have extremely hairy bodies. A coyote that had also undergone genetic modification was one of the mutants that resembled vampires. They may also alter their appearance and speak in the same way as other tributes, luring more people to kill them. The other members of the career pack perished in this manner, leaving Cashmere as the lone survivor of the pack. She had slaughtered five tributes during the bloodbath. On that day, though, her district partner was fatally shot. She formed a partnership with the district 2 male and tracked down the boy from 6. She executed him in a painful manner. Their alliance killed theirs since the boy from 6 also formed one. She assassinated him on the final day, when there was just a tribute from 9 left, giving her the victory. She allegedly possessed exceptional knife and throwing knife skills. It had been the scariest game I've ever witnessed and I was so impressed how she managed to survive it all.

We started chatting with Gloss and Cashmere. They gave us general good advice but there was something weird about Cashmere that I couldn't quite put my finger on. She barely looked at me and when she did she just looked sad. Is she already thinking of me as a failure? She if someone should know that you can't judge tributes based on their appearance. I felt my cheeks going red the more I thought about it. I forced myself to take a deep breath and smile. It worked as usual and I felt my cheeks going back to their normal color. I watched as Gloss tried to make the tv work. I giggled a little bit to myself as he's supposed to know how to do it by now. He finally makes it work and we watch a recap of the reaping. District 1 is always first and I watch myself volunteer. I don't want to admit it but my dress makes my figure pop. Mother knew what she was doing after all. We also watched as Marvel started shouting before Ruby even had the chance to read a name. It's even more embarrassing now than it was at the reaping. I look at Marvel and he looks disgustingly satisfied with his stunt. I didn't know it was possible to dislike someone this much.

My eyes return to the tv when district 2's tributes are being pulled. Their escort is much shorter than Ruby. Much. And she has lots of unnatural makeup with golden hair. Not golden like mine but literal golden. I try to pay attention as district 2 is a career district which means I will most likely team up with these tributes. The female tribute is chosen but two arms shoot up at the exact same time. The taller one starts arrogantly walking towards the scene but the shorter girl isn't okay with it as she runs after the taller one and pushes her to the ground. She's strong. She starts hitting the other girl until the girl stops fighting back. She then starts walking towards the stage with a confident look. There's something about her... She makes me want to learn more about her. I hear the escorts say the short girl's name is Clove. I'll remember that. My focus shifts as they present the male tribute. A tall muscular blonde guy volunteers. I knew when I saw him that I had to have him on my side, no matter what I had to do to get him there. A plan started to form inside my brain. I will seduce him, make him fall for me and kill him with my ring in his sleep. He has to trust me, and what says trust so much as love?

It takes about a day to make it to the capitol. Marvel and I got to speak separately with our mentors and I told Cashmere about my plan. She had stared at me for a little while until she started to nod her head. We came up with a strategy together and she taught me how to act in the capital to gain as many sponsors as possible. She's a good mentor, I'll give her that. Maybe she even started believing in me a little bit more after I told her about my plan. It seemed like she thought it would work. We would have about a week to prepare me for the games. Lots of time. And I trusted Cashmere, she knew what she was doing.

I woke up in the most comfortable bed I've ever laid in. Don't get me wrong my bed at home is fantastic but nothing compares to this fluff cloud I was laying in. I stayed there for about five minutes until I knew I had to get up. I stood up still with the sheet swapped around my body. I walked towards the closet and opened it. There were so many options! I knew they would give me new clothes when they fixed me up before the tribute parade, but I wanted to look good to the citizens when they were greeting us at the station. So I once again took a pink dress with a matching pair of shoes from the closet and got dressed. Cashmere told me the sponsors loved me in pink and gold. I couldn't help but agree.

We quickly ate some breakfast before we rolled into the station. The food is nothing like home. I thought we had amazing food but nothing compares to the capital food. I can't imagine how good it must be to some of the tributes. I know some districts are pretty poor. The capital tries to keep it quiet but we all know. We have seen tributes looking like skeletons, especially from districts 11th and 12th. I'm glad I never had to worry about it. All I had to do was keep being a good girl and train hard at the academy. And it paid off. I was looking healthy, strong, and beautiful. I could easily take down the girl from 2 even if she was strong for her size. I had a feeling it probably wouldn't be that easy though. She seemed almost unhinged at the reaping. A younger me would probably fear her. But now...? She intrigued me.

We exited the train and I started waving, smiling and talking with the curious crowd. They loved me. I felt happy and seen. Ruby showed up by my side and led us towards the training center. It was so much bigger than I ever imagined. She told us Cashmere and Gloss would meet us at the apartment after the parade. I nodded and gave her a little smile. Marvel and I were led down to where they're supposed to clean us up. I knew they wouldn't have that much to fix but I still felt a little anxious. Maybe it was just excitement. We're supposed to meet our prep team and also our stylists. I hope they know what they're doing. I don't want to look like a complete fool to everyone in Panem.

My prep team greets me and we start walking towards one of the so called rooms. And that's when I see them. The blonde guy with a muscular body, Cato I think his name was, and the ruthless girl, both from district 2. I gave Cato the flashiest smile I could. He would definitely remember me as the girl with the shimmering smile. But somehow my eyes fell on the short girl beside him. She looks at me like she wants to kill me right here right now. My stomach makes a little spin. I hope she and Cato aren't a thing or else my plan would completely fail. I give her one of my flashy smiles but she looks away. Rude. Maybe she feels threatened? Good. You should be terrified of me, girl from district 2.