six.

Silence rested between the two teenagers as their breathing calmed down

Silence rested between the two teenagers as their breathing calmed down. Did he say what she thought he said? He had been saying all the right things, all the things that made her heart beat faster. It brought her back to reality though. He had said all those things before, always when they were alone and no one could hear the promises he made to her.

She looked at him for a second but then her body swiftly moved up from the bed and searched for her panties in the dark. She wouldn't go down this road again. It would only be a matter of time until he would change his mind, again. They would end up on square one again and Isabella didn't know if she could take it.

"Isabella..." He said, trying to keep her from leaving but she was already getting ready by pulling down her dress and reaching for the door. Fuckshit got up and quickly got dressed so he could go after her. Jeans were on but he struggled to get on his t-shirt before he reached the stair.

She was quick, making her way through the crowd while searching for a familiar face. Ruben and Ray were the first ones she saw. The brunette stopped at them, knowing she had a moment before Fuckshit caught up to her.

"If you're my friend, keep him away for tonight." Isa looked at Ray who looked like a big question mark.

He was about to ask her what the hell she was talking about until she disappeared further into the crowd and then was out of sight. It didn't take long until Fuckshit appeared.

"Where did she go? Did she say anything?" His shirt was on inside out and curly blond hair was messy. It didn't take Ray long to put the two pieces together.

"Come on, I don't think y'all should talk right now."

"I don't care, I need to talk to her..." He started to push past his friends until Ruben stopped.

"She doesn't want to talk to you. Leave her alone." Ruben and Fuckshit had been friends way before they even met Isabella but after they had broken up for good, he had felt protective over her. He could see how easily Fuckshit moved on while she pulled away and became reclusive. In many ways, he blamed his friend for that.

"She said that?"

"Come on, let's go get a beer." Ray pulled at his shoulder and surprisingly he agreed and moved towards the kitchen.

Ruben moved away from the two and decided to go find Isa. Something bad always happened when she ran away and was left alone. Too many bad things had happened.

He found her sitting on one of the sun chairs by Estee's pool, face buried in her hands. She was crying and he could hear it as he approached behind her.

"What happened?"

Isabella quickly wiped around her eyes as she heard his voice, she didn't want anyone to see her crying. She hated it, even though she had done a lot of crying in the last couple of months. Fourthgrade and Ray knew more about what was going on, she didn't want to involve the younger boys too much. Not more than she already had.

"Nothing."

"You're not crying because of nothing..." The boy sat down on the chair next to hers.

"It's complicated Ruben." Her voice was low as she spoke, her gaze stuck on the bright blue water from the pool.

"Then explain to me." She had said before that she still cared about Fuckshit because she loved him but why would you love someone who made you cry?

"Have you heard someone say 'right person, wrong time'?" Now she finally turned her head to look at her friend. Ruben could see that her eyes were red from the crying. He did a quick check of her pupils too, to make sure it wasn't something else too. He nodded to her question.

"I think it's something like that... Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, people can't seem to figure it out together. But that doesn't mean that they don't want to. Does that make sense?"

"I guess." He replied with a shrug. Was that what it was with his parents? They fought and yelled but eventually they would come around and hug each other again. When it was bad, it was horrible and when it was good, it was amazing.

"Did you see Estee inside?"

"Yeah."

"I need to get something from her, do you wanna come with me?" She put a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I think I'll stay out here for a while..."

"Okay... Thank you for checking up on me Ruben. You're a good friend." She smiled at him but the sadness in her eyes was still there.

Isabella got up, wiping around her eyes again. Not wanting to look like a racoon when she made it inside. Ruben had been so sweet but what she needed now was her girl friend. Luckily when she was in the living room she saw Estee but didn't see either Fuckshit or Ray anywhere.

"Estee... I need your help with something." She said, tapping on her shoulder.

"Of course, with what?" Estee said, turning around to face her.

"Do you have any pills?" She whispered into her ear, not wanting anyone else to hear. Confusion and anger appeared quickly on Estee's face.

"The day after... Not... Not those fucking pills." Isa was a little hurt that her friend thought the worst about her but she was just looking out for her.

"Wooh! You got some? I didn't think you had it in you tonight!" Estee's face had turned excited now, quickly switching.

"Can we not talk about this here? Do you have any in your room?"

She nodded and both girls made it up the stairs. Estee wouldn't be happy when she heard who she had slept with but Isabella didn't want to lie. She had been lying to her friend too much in the past and she was too sober to blame it on anything.

"So who's the lucky guy?" Estee rummaged through her dresser to look for the pill she knew she had somewhere.

"I don't think you wanna know..."

Isabella sat down on the bed, looking down at her thumbs as she fiddled with them. When he had told her how he had made the wrong decision, she couldn't help but want to be in his arms again. It felt so good for a moment but then reality came crashing in again. It was the silly game they always played. They could be good for a moment and then it would all come crumbling down. A bad circle.

"What? No... Isa, tell me you didn't." Estee wasn't opposed to them getting back together but only if Fuckshit stepped up.

"I know I shouldn't have... My mind just got clouded."

"Are you high?" Estee turned when she found the pill in her bottom drawer.

"What? No! I'm not. I just... we had a moment."

"So now what?"

"Nothing." Isa felt ashamed, she had made the same mistake again. Sleeping with him and hoping things would turn for the better. That it would be the two of them now.

Estee got up and moved over to the bed, sitting down next to her. She placed the carton in her hands and wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"It was a mistake, I know that. A moment of weakness, that's all."

"It's okay..."

She couldn't deny her feelings but she had to learn to cope with them. Fuckshit would always be around... At least until they graduated and they still had months to go until then. She had to focus on getting herself through school and keep her sobriety.