It's Me, Hi, I'm the Problem It's Me

Pairing/s - Joel Miller x Daughter!Reader, Tommy Miller x Niece!Reader, Unnamed Boyfriend x Miller!Reader, Miller!Reader x Jesse (For my fellow game players)

Summary - Joel was never there for his daughter, but she could always rely on her uncle Tommy.

CW - Child neglect, abandonment, child abuse, teenage pregnancy, emotional neglect

Word Count - 3.4k

A/N - Okay...here is the fix it fic if you wanna call it that, for so casually cruel in the name of being honest, let me know if y'all enjoy! As always, feedback, likes and reblogs are always appreciated! As per usual with my fics, there is no way that this follows the canonical timeline of either the game or the show!

Tommy was sure he had never worried about Joel, never in the entirety of his life, in which he had always known his brother, he never felt threatened or unsafe with him. He knew that Joel was a great dad to Sarah, the three of them often took trips together, and Joel always went to Sarah's soccer games and made time for her - He could not say the same for Joel's parenting towards you. You had been left on Joel's doorstep when you were about a year old, your mother claiming that she couldn't look after you anymore and that Joel was your father, something which he deep down, very much doubted. In his denial of being your father, he refused to act like one towards you - The trips still remained exclusive to Tommy, Joel, and Sarah, leaving you alone in the house and with only your neighbours to check on you. He didn't speak to you very much, and your sister wasn't any better - But in her defence, she was acting purely out of spectating how your father treated you - Which often left you lonely and to your own devices, your dad only focused on your apparent negatives, you found yourself feeling like more a problem than a child.

 However, your uncle Tommy never made you feel that way - He always bought you presents on your few birthdays you had before the outbreak so you would have something to show your friends at pre-school, he reminded Joel, albeit last minute, about Christmas presents for you - He knew that Joel could have cared less about your feelings towards the day, but Tommy did. On many occasions, Tommy had called Joel out on his bullshit way of treating you, but Joel told him that he wouldn't understand, he wasn't a father and wouldn't get it until he was one.

But as far as Tommy was concerned, he was your father. He deserved that title way more than Joel did, anything  your so-called father should have been doing for you, Tommy did. 

Which is why he felt so guilty leaving you alone with Joel after their argument about Tommy joining the fireflies. He knew, and had saw, what Joel was capable of - If he had found a good enough reason, Tommy feared what your father would do to you. When he met Maria, he had told her about you, and about Joel's unjust hatred towards you - And he was shocked when she encouraged him to go back for you, bring you to Jackson where you could be kept safe. So that's what Tommy did, he went back for you.

You and Joel hadn't found a QZ yet, so were still staying in the farmhouse that you had been in for the 3 years since the outbreak. As Tommy made his way into the house, he found you alone, your father nowhere to be seen - Had he abandoned you?  Tommy thought, his heart both breaking and filling with anger at the thought of your father abandoning you and leaving you to die.

"Y/N?" He said softly, not wanting to spook you. You turned to face him, your eyes lighting up at the face of your uncle Tommy - who you had missed so much. He smiled as you threw yourself into his arms, to which he held you tightly. He knew you didn't talk much - most likely a result of your father failing to encourage your speech development or giving you much conversation, Tommy had been making some progress in helping you before the outbreak, but had since stopped after. "Where's your dad?" Tommy asked you, noticing the lack of his things scattered around the house.