CHAPTER 4.

Chapter 4.
London Lenae DiVincenzo

Nervousness washed over me as I walked down into the school. I knew that I had absolutely nothing to be nervous about when all Mikey wanted to do was simply talk but, situations where I was walking into something blind, always seemed to make me nervous for some reason.

The minute that turned the corner where the main stairwell was, there he was. He had on his basketball uniform, his head was down and his knee was bouncing up and down as he sat on the steps. He looked completely stressed out and as if he had to get something from off of his chest.

What made him feel comfortable enough to want to confide in me?

"Hey.." I said, gaining his attention.

Mikey looked up at me and smiled softly. "Hey. I didn't think you were gonna come. I thought you were in trouble?"

I shook my head as I sat down beside him. "Nah, my parents are chill. So, what's wrong? What did you need to talk to me about?"

Mikey sighed and ran his hands over his curls. "I wanted to let you know that, I left Jada earlier today."

Oh my goodness...

"W-Why?" I asked, trying to search his eyes for any sign of an explanation.  "You guys were perfectly fine earlier today..."

Mikey shook his head. "Not everything has been fine between she and I for a while, to be honest, but I couldn't keep lying to myself, you know?"

"Lying to yourself about what?" I asked, moving my hair from out of my face, glancing over at him.

Mikey didn't answer right away, and it was making my heart nearly explode from out of my chest. I didn't think my nerves were this severe, but something inside of me told me that he was about to tell me something that would literally change absolutely everything between he and I, and maybe even in the dynamics of our friend group as well.

I didn't want anything in our group to change because I felt like we were one of those groups that could make it through high school together and create amazing memories, plus I didn't want to take that away from Mikey either since he would graduate in May. He deserves a full experience and not to do something that would alter our friend group.

Right?

Mikey let out a deep, shaky breath as he turned his head to look me directly in my eyes. We just stayed that way for a few moments, and I could literally feel the energy shift between he and I which only made me wonder more: what was he about to say to me?

"I been lying to myself about how I feel about you," Mikey says so low that I almost didn't hear him. "You're a bright light, Lo. I like that about you, I really do."

My eyes widened as realization sank into me. It took a few moments for me to realize exactly what Mikey meant, but once it sank in...I didn't know how to react. At all. I mean, what was I even supposed to say? I knew how I felt about Mikey, but at the end of the day, I was still Jada's friend...

Right?

Even though she had known that I wanted Mikey before she started dating him, she was still my friend, plus I wasn't acting on my feelings towards Mikey, so she acted on hers—I think.

"London...please say something..." Mikey pleaded. 

I shook my head and tried my hardest to lose eye contact with him, but for some reason, I just couldn't. "Mikey, what about Jada...? I mean, you just got out a relationship with her...she's my friend, I think. Jumping into something—."