20. Surgery

- Skylar Miller - 

 - Skylar Miller - 

My stomach was still twisting in knots, as I was propped up in bed, sitting beside Summer's bed, whom was still unconscious. The doctor was going over something about my surgery to do with blood pumping and my heart, while all I could do was watch as Rylie nodded to the words. 

It made me feel worse, as Noah continuously pressed a washer to my face to try and stop the sweat from running down my neck and back. It was in these moments, that I wished it was my mother, sitting beside me with a washer, or my father listening to the doctor, not my brothers, because they have already done so much. 

Everyone stopped talking around me, as the doctor had left the room. "Oh Sky" Riley murmured, brushing a stray strand of hair behind my ear. "This was what happened to mom, wasn't it?" Blake's harsh tone didn't startle me; we all knew it was coming. 

"Yes, Blake, it was. Mom's heart failed as they didn't know she was pumping so much blood into her lungs, that her heart was working double time. We didn't know until she passed away in the car accident" the mood had turned somber at the mention of our mother. 

"What happened to Dad?" I head never really gotten the real answer, only that the two were involved in an accident. I had believed it for 10 years now, and I was done dealing with the lies they had all been feeding me. 

"Dad was the other vehicle that was involved. You were in the car with mom and Luke, and mom had swerved away from Dad's car, saving the two of you in the backseat. She took her life because she couldn't deal with the way our father was treating the rest of us. She would be really proud of the young girl you have become, Sky" he continued to caress my cheeks with his soft touch, as a soft flow of tears ran down my cheeks. 

"She would?" I questioned. Riley was about to respond, but Jay was the first one to speak up. "Sky, both of the times you have suffered because of the rest of us. You don't understand how much you have saved us from the people we believed were our older brothers, that would do anything for us. We should have known, when you were in the med bay, the first time" 

Blake nodded along, as he came over to my bed, placing a kiss to my forehead, before giving me a smile that has never been aimed at me before. In a second, he was laying beside me in bed, as he brushed the tears away from my cheeks, and pulling my numb body into his warm, large one. 

This was the family I preferred. I felt included and that we were communicating with one another, but most importantly, I felt heard. Whenever Shane or Grayson was around, I felt shunned into the corner, as they took whatever I said and brushed into under the rug. 

But now, I felt like these people wanted the best for me no matter what. So, that was why the doctor came back in, demanding my family to move away from my bed, as I was then drugged up, and started to get wheeled away, as I clung onto whoever I could, begging to not let me go. 

It just so happened that we were told to let go, and I was done for. 

---

 - Noah Miller - 

 - Noah Miller - 

"We shouldn't be sitting here" Brayden murmured, as we sat in the same room, waiting for Skylar's bed to come back out. I knew exactly what he was talking about; that it shouldn't have gotten so bad that she needed surgery to fix it. 

"Oh dear god" I heard Luke mutter under his breath, as I whipped my head to the doorway, seeing my little sister being wheeled in. I covered my mouth in horror, as a blood tube was inserted into her stomach, which was clearly leading to her heart or that area. 

She looked so battered and bruised. Tubes were everywhere around her body, making me wince quietly, knowing how bad it would have hurt. I had had the same surgery after all, but I was only 6 at the time, so I didn't quiet remember it as clearly as what I know Skylar will be able too.

They left permanent scars, and I still had my own. It ached, looking down at her small body, that should have been bigger than what it was. She barely filled the bed up, and I knew that was what the doctors were speaking to Riley right now about, just outside the door. 

It felt like everything we had ever tried to do, always had to come back to us, and crash right down on our doorstep. We had never had a break, especially as children. "Said she will wake up in her own time. It depends on her, now. When she wants to, she will" Riley's quiet voice made me drift back to the room we were sitting on. 

"None of this has ever been fair on all of us, especially Skylar. We can never get a break from anything. From hospitals, to our parents, then to people we call friends. None of it has ever worked in our favor's" Bray stood up, gesturing his hands as he spoke. 

He was right. Something we were doing wasn't allowing for any of us to settle down, and no one knew why. "I know. I think we need to re-start life. New schools, new house, new friends. We will gather everything together while Skylar  is here, with Summer. Someone will always be here with her, but I think it will be a surprise if we get everything sorted for her, so that she doesn't have to be the one that directs us to it" 

Riley was right. We need to take control over our own lives, and decide our own paths. We needed to choose whether we all wanted to still live together, or where life was going to take us. Maybe this was the wake up call we needed. 

That our lives had always been someone else's life, not our own. But today, that was going to change, because we were going to be starting fresh. 

This was our time. 

---

thoughts? xx

thoughts? xx

hate this chapter, but had to get something out, so I hope it is alright. sorry for making you all wait so long for such a short and bad chapter like this.