Chapter 14: Bonding with the Baseball Idiots

"Miyuki..." the coach addressed his catcher and received his attention while Sawamura was laughing loud and smugly as if conquering the world on his own. "Do you think you can handle Aoki's pitches?"

"Yes, of course", Miyuki answered with his usual arrogant confidence. "However, this time I'll have to admit I might need some time to figure things out and to adjust. Sora's style is complex and very unique. We'll also have to come up with a few special signs and strategies. Not to mention, if he doesn't stop having secrets, I won't be able to know his full repertoire. I have to be filled in what he can and what he can't do in detail. If necessary, I'm gonna have to push the matter by challenging him like Sawamura does right now to get to know his limits. Sora's very stubborn"

Coach Kataoka nodded in approval.

"Do that. I'm leaving Aoki in your care"

"I appreciate it"

While Miyuki tried to suppress his smirk in front of his head coach, Kuramochi beside him threw his captain an all too well-knowing side glance. Takashima only fixed her glasses once again and called Sawamura over. The brown haired southpaw bowed deeply before she was able to scold him.

"Boss, I Sawamura Eijun humbly apologize for disturbing your practice!" he exclaimed in his over-exaggerated voice. "I want to volunteer on running laps as a proper punishment!"

"Idiot, if you volunteer for it, it's not gonna be a punishment anymore..." Sora deadpanned from her place on the bullpen-mound.

"Hyaha, true!"

"Sawamura-kun..." Takashima started, making the pitcher fix his posture.

"Yes, Ma'am!"

"I understand that you wanted to help us acknowledging Aoki-kun's full potential, so I think this time a punishment won't be necessary", she went on with a sigh. "However, if I ever see you catching without any protectors again, I will personally exclude you from any upcoming matches. You will be running laps for the rest of the season, do I make myself clear? We don't need irresponsible pitchers who risk being injured!"

Sawamura gulped and his body shivered under the female scout's stern gaze.

"C-Crystal clear, Ma'am!"

The coach crossed his arms over his broad chest and nodded his head once with a pleased grunt.

"And next time you ask before you barge into my practice! If you've got something to say, you come to me or one of our staff members first!"

"Yes, boss!"

"Resume your practice!"

"Roger that!" the young southpaw saluted and hurried back to Kawakami, Furuya and their practice catchers.

"He's being more obedient recently" Takashima remarked, only earning another grunt from her superior.

"Aoki, Miyuki!"

The two students exchanged a glance before awkwardly lining up in front of Kataoka and Takashima.

"You will be practicing as a battery from now on! Aoki, you will be a relief and also a practice pitcher for our team. As long as you're not needed on the mound, I will use you infield as well. Be prepared to play either position anytime"

Sora blinked, flabbergasted.

Wait... Did that make her a regular player? No, right? Was sitting on the bench to wait for relieving and occasionally playing infield a regular position already?! No way, right? RIGHT?!

Miyuki grinned. "Yes, Sir"

"Ah and Aoki..." Kataoka added stoically. "I expect you to inform us and your catcher about every important detail of your pitching without fail"