Ch 12

Juliana

In my silence I had always felt fear and terror. Sitting on the floor, my silence was absolute peace. My soul seemed to sit and hum with content. When Matthew asked his questions, I was hesitant to answer, but I needed to know what they wanted. But after speaking for the second time, I answered and shushed them. Bliss radiated from my thoughts and the quiet was not to be feared. The men were the cause for change in my emotions. I decided to trust them for the moment.

Enjoying the comfort radiating from their presence, I looked around the room. Even the room radiated a soothing calm. The room had four walls, three open doors, and two windows. It seemed that this room was a corner of the building. All of the walls were light blue. The door leading to the rest of the house, was across the room from the bed, in the center of the wall. The bed we had been on had gray and dark blue sheets, covers, and pillows. It was a four poster looking to be king sized. The bed had a window to it's left. The wall right of the bed had two doors. One leading to a closet and the other to a bathroom. The last remaining wall had a window and a large painting of a lake shore. The painting had mist covering the far view and trees lining the lake.

Eventually, my wandering eyes landed back on the men in front of me. Speaking had never been my strong suit while I had been a slave. They never wanted me to speak except for screaming and begging. I refused to do that. Knowing I had to get more information, I asked, "Please... speak about selves?... Need to see your mouth..."

"My angel, my brother and I are shifters. We have been alive for three thousand years." The one called Brandon said.

Looking at them, their eyes were burdened with years of tragedy. What would it be like to see all of the world changing? Seeing the human race cultivate civilization? Destroying the earth? Watching the mystical races kill off humans?

"Lived a long time... Seen history?... Sad?"

Brandon

No one but my brother has ever understood my pain in watching the world change. Looking into her eyes, I saw pain and curiosity.

"Would you like to know the story of Earth?" I asked.

"Please."

"Roughly thirty years ago, the species called humans ruled the world. They were ignorant of the all the other species. Believing themselves the only ones left. The Rulers of the Races did not like hiding in the background. They came out of hiding in the 'Great Coming Out'. The humans reacted with fear and went to war. They lost, going extinct at the same time. The last reported human was ten years ago."

"We grew up with humans and seeing their extinction... It broke us." Matthew whispered. My angel didn't miss his words and touched his cheek lifting his head. She smiled and looked back to me to continue.

"Reality is, we were born three thousand years ago, but we are the last of our species. We call ourselves shifters, but that is because we can turn into any living animal known to us."

"No plants or insects please!" My twin said jokingly, earning a smile from my angel.

"Anyway, this includes other races. And this ability makes them fear us. Our race was hunted into near extinction, leaving us alone. The shifter race has biologically built in survival instinct. Each shifter has a mate decided from their birth. The shifter feels their mate's birth and knows they are alive. I have felt my mate be born and die three times already. Now it is my fourth time feeling her birth."

"So have I, but I believe that both me and my brother have found our mate finally." Matthew added to my surprise.

Looking at us, the question was clear in her eyes, "Who?"

"You." My brother and I said.

A/N

I updated late, I know. I'm sorry!

Also, I upgraded the cover. Isn't it beautiful?

Dedications were given to wonderful people who have voted on this novel from the very beginning! Blessing286, Jadewink, and MissyLarsen, you guys are amazing!

Please comment, vote, and share!