Chapter 27

A shout out to Luna_Athena_89. They reminded me that this needed to be published. Sorry for the long wait.

Chapter 27

In Matthew's arms I felt secure. There was no fear of falling. I faced opposite of where he was walking. Brandon stood behind us talking to me. Explaining that they had fifteen heads of adult cattle and five calves. Seeing my confused face, he said that calves were babies.

"Matthew is gonna walk backwards through the door so that you can see outside where we are going." With those words Matthew whirled around so that I could see out the door he had opened. Before me laid many buildings and connected sticks in the ground. In many of the sticks there were various animals. The closest were the size of a small orc, and were very fluffy. They ate the grass and had large curly horns. The buildings were large and two storied. The roofs were slanted to a point. Most were a pleasing burgundy red, but one building was a powder blue. Each one contained a large door that could slide. The buildings looked like they could survive any storm.

"Beautiful..." came my whisper.

Stepping back, Matthew continued out and turned back around. Behind us, Brandon was smiling, his face split by the wideness. His teeth on display and his eyes lit up.

"Isn't it?! Took us a hundred and forty years to build this place up. Even after the humans fell we kept this place going. Two hundred plus animals here and we are self-sufficient. We have yet to see the fields, they are truly awe inspiring." Brandon continued, getting more excited. "Of course, it's only spring right now, so the corn isn't as tall as it will get and the wheat is still getting there, but the orchard is in fine shape! Oh but the vines need a little more time to get green but they'll be the best! We found this place hundreds of years ago. We bought the land, but it took us a long time before we could do anything with it. The land was the sight of a battle between to sides deciding who was right over owning slaves. Silly fools, slavery is just wrong. Either way, the land was fertile but had too many emotional imprints and spirits running around. So we took close to fifty years just exorcising the place..." Brandon continued to talk. Matthew kept walking, but I couldn't pay attention to that.

As we walked, the sun shone on my back. So warm. The wind rustled by blowing a few stands of my hair but not whipping them up. The smell of warm grass, clean air and animals wandered by. Not a hint of sickness. Beside us the fluffy animals had began to cry out. There mouths opening wide. Their eyes were little bars surrounded by brown. The elongated mouth free of the fluffy fur. They walked along the sticks beside us. Never jumping out. How curious. Closing my eyes, I laid my head on Matthews shoulder and enjoyed the rhythm of his body. Take a step. Breath in. Place foot. Breath out. Left. Right. Repeat. Slow without rush or hiccup.

"Beautiful..." I whispered out.

Looking at her leaning and trusting Matthew to carry her, I couldn't agree more. In the sunlight, her hair picked minor bronze accents. Her skin lit from within, as if there was gold running throughout her veins. I had noticed she had stopped paying attention to me, so I had stopped talking out loud. The minute she had seen outside the door, I had started projecting the image to Matthew.

"She is a blessing." I murmured to him.

"Of course, she is our Other soul. We are nearing the nursing barn. Get her attention please?" Matthew asked.

Taking an extra step closer, I tapped her cheek. Her eyes flew open and my soul was pierced by the relaxed amethyst shining within the orbs.

"Angel, we are nearing the nursing barn. This is where we keep all of our nursing mothers and babies. So, there is more than cows in the barn. The calf we are going to see is nearly one year old. Jesse, his mother, had him later in her life. The birth was difficult and after nursing him for awhile, she struggled to keep up. So we decided that it was her time to pass on. In accord with nature we have started to consume her body, but her memory lives on in her child, along with the rest of their ancestors." I stated.