at the top of my list

pre-ghostface / no ghostface. fem!carpenter!reader. brief underage drinking & angst. mostly fluff.

Rooming with Mindy Meeks-Martin came with its pros: for one, she got you out of having to room with your two sisters - as much as you loved them, you couldn't bear the thought of having to live a tiny, cramped apartment with them, - plus, she was your gateway to the "full college experience" (her words). Then, there were things that came with Mindy that you hadn't decided were pros or cons; after all, she was the reason you met Ethan Landry.

It wasn't entirely her fault - but Mindy was Chad's sister and Ethan was Chad's roommate and in no time, he was part of the group.

It was strange, allowing new people into your lives, but first came Ethan, then Quinn, then Anika and eventually you got used to the feeling.

You warmed up to Ethan first and the fastest, despite making the worst first impression. You'd misheard his name as Ethan Laundry and laughed little too loud for a little too long at a joke only you were in on.

Ethan looked past this; he was far too focused on not stumbling over his own words even to recall the event that mortified you for weeks.

Your relationship with Ethan grew steadily as he came around more and more. It was always in a group setting and usually alongside Chad, but as the months grew on you engaged in more conversations by yourselves. Always somehow left alone with him, you felt yourself becoming increasingly comfortable around Ethan.

Anytime Mindy attempted to make a comment on you and Ethan, she was shutdown immediately, sometimes even before she could get a single word out.

You enjoyed Ethan's company and he enjoyed yours - the dynamic you had now didn't need to be changed.

Moreover, you certainly didn't need Mindy messing things up.

You were adamant enough in your position that Ethan and you were just friends and you didn't want anything more to Mindy that she cooled down on the would-be comments - at least to your face.

"I just know they like each other. I can feel it." Mindy argued.

"Jeez, I thought Chad was the matchmaker here." Sam joked.

"Hey, it runs in our blood." Mindy grinned. "But seriously, all I hear is 'Ethan this, Ethan that.' It'd be cute if the two of them weren't so painfully clueless."

"Well, why don't we let them figure it out on their own?" Tara suggested, taking a sip of her drink. She knew how you felt about others meddling into your life, even if it was people you loved - she and Sam learned that the hard way.

Mindy groaned. "That'll take months. Maybe even years. Do you really want to watch these idiots pine for each other for that long?"

Sam let out a "Hey!" in your defense, while Mindy and Tara looked around for support, both sets of eyes falling on the only person who could clue them into Ethan's perspective: Chad.

"Well," Chad glanced nervously from his sister to both of yours, eyes settling on to Tara's warm brown ones. "He does talk about your sister a lot. Like... a lot."

"That doesn't mean we should do anything." Sam said before Mindy could say anything. "She really wouldn't appreciate it."

"Even if it would get them together?" Mindy pleaded desperately.

"Let's leave them be for now," Sam stated decisively, offering Mindy a small smile. "Let them figure it out on their own."

「 ... 」