ever since we met

Your friendship with Ethan was just that — a friendship. A really close friendship.

That's what you always insisted on. The two of you were just... affectionate.

It was this fact that infuriated your friends in silence and shared looks when the two of you were together. But the hang-out would end and everything was forgotten until the next time.

Perhaps neither of you wanted to change what you had — perhaps both of you were scared to admit what you really wanted. So both of you did a dance that frustrated everyone around you. You got close, but you never crossed the line.

But your friends reached their limit eventually, brainstorming and planning in secret. An ambush — an intervention.

It began as any other hang-out did, but things took a turn when you and Ethan were cornered after the two of you had gotten comfortable on each other, seating arrangement already implicating you. Your friends stood, arms crossed as they began their speech.

You were scoffing and sighing as they went on, rolling your eyes and sharing looks with Ethan as the two of you stifled laughs.

But there were some things, some nail-in-the-coffin, undeniable things about you and Ethan that your friends pulled out as evidence.

For starters, you two were never apart. even when you arrived separately, Ethan's head found its way on your shoulder in record time, every time.

Which led to point 1.5 - the physical affection between the two of you was starting to make Mindy of all people gag. Whether it was Ethan on your legs or you resting against Ethan's chest, no one could look at you or him without noticing the way Ethan's fingers linked with yours, or tugs on clothing that diverted complete attention to each other. It was sick.

"Even in public!" Mindy emphasized, throwing her hands up in exasperation. You were always shoulder-to-shoulder and leg-to-leg during group outings, no matter were you were.

Secondly, you two practically went on dates all the time. You wanted to scoff and remark that your friends were just jealous they weren't invited to these impulsive hang-outs. But then you thought about it — about all the times you and Ethan hung out by yourselves. And you thought — about all the things that didn't happen while you two were alone, that maybe you did wish for in a deep corner of your mind and about all the things that did — all the looks and whispers that sent your mind reeling and a desire for Ethan in your heart.

Third of all — god, how many points did they have? — everybody they had ever met thought the two of you were dating.

"Okay," you butt in, "that's not true—"

"Ethan's own dad thought you were dating!"

And that shut you up.

"So, what was the point of this little... intervention?" Mindy began rhetorically, taking a few steps around the room. "Well, we are all gathered here today to tell you two to start! dating! already!" Mindy cried out, clapping to emphasize her words.

You flinched a little with every clap, turning your head ever-so-slightly to glance at Ethan in an attempt to gauge his reaction. But Ethan kept his gaze straight forward.

"We're not-" you began.

"You basically already are," Mindy said with finality you couldn't begin to protest. She glanced between you and Ethan before turning around, motioning to your friends. "We'll let you two talk."

And with that, a silence engulfed you and the brown haired boy entwined with you, a silence that was no longer comfortable and familiar. You felt exposed and vulnerable in the uncharted territory you were suddenly forced into and although Ethan was your best friend... you liked him. You had realized that now. You just weren't sure if he had, too.

You cleared your throat, extremely aware of the way Ethan's fingers were still tangled with yours. You slipped out of his grasp, slowly. Facing him, you waited for him to say anything.

"I—" Ethan spoke at the same time you did, getting a strained chuckle out of you.

"You can go first," you offered, suddenly insecure of the thoughts you were having.

"I... i think Mindy's right," Ethan spoke quickly, as if pushing out the words as fast as he could would make the situation any better. "I didn't realize what I was doing and I don't think you were either, and I'm sorry if that hurt you but... I like you."

Your heart soared and you could feel your body tremble. Nerves mixed with the adrenaline that ran throughout your body and you almost forgot to respond.

"It's okay if you don't feel the same," Ethan spoke quickly, "I just don't want to-"

The words died on his lips when you kissed him slowly and all the pieces felt like they fell into place. Something in the world shifted as your hand slotted into Ethan's again and the warmth of his chest transferred to yours. This — Ethan's lips on yours and his arm around your waist and your hand in his hair — was how it was supposed to be.