more than a feeling [1/2]

contains spoilers for scream 6! canon-compliant; ghostface

Dim lights and a bright TV illuminating your face as it played your favorite horror movie, snacks popped into your mouth every once in a while. Your heart beat faster and the movie tensed just like you did, and then — a creak. Not from the movie.

You paused the movie quickly. Perhaps your paranoia was heightened from the scenes you had just watched but the sound was too close for comfort, a careful ear listening for any other sounds that could follow.

None did. You relaxed, picking up the remote to resume. Then you heard it — another creak, much clearer this time.

You shot up from your place, snacks spilling over. Your TV shut off as did your lights, flooding you in darkness. There was a tension in the air and a movement and there he was — the masked figure in the black robe, knife glinting in the moonlight that leaked in.

There was a horrible scream and you ran, into your apartment's tiny bedroom. You heard the footsteps thundering behind you, following you, slamming into the door just as you'd shut it. You reached for the handle and realized you'd never gotten around to fixing the goddamn lock.

You pressed your body weight against the door and the air went silent. Footsteps sounded and fists pounded at the door. The doorknob twisted and the door became a power struggle you couldn't win. You screamed as the door behind you was forced open, real-life horror paralyzing your body. You were helpless against your attacker.

Ethan entered the bathroom and you screamed again, your instincts pushing him away from you and picking up a lamp to defend yourself. Your chest was heaving with heavy breaths, tears welling in your eyes at the fear you felt seeing Ethan.

"Hey, hey, it's me," Ethan pleaded, taking a few steps closer.

You backed up, adrenaline pumping as you realized you were right against the wall. The fear in your eyes didn't let up yet despite your trembling, you didn't waver. You shut your eyes and turned away. If you were going to die, you did not want to see Ethan be the one to do it.

"Hey..." Ethan whispered softly, forcefully lowering your arms. "Look at me."

"Don't touch me," you gritted out tearfully, squeezing your eyes even harder.

You felt Ethan's face on your hand and your eyes opened at the shock, your vision blurry with tears as it was forcefully focused on Ethan's face. His eyes gleamed with sadness and determination, too.

"I would never hurt you," Ethan's lips quivered but his voice did not. "I would never hurt you." His stare into your eyes was unrelenting, brown eyes filled with sincerity.

A part of you screamed at you to run. But another part, the part that believed in Ethan more than it believed in you, screamed back louder.

You dropped your makeshift weapon and fell into Ethan's arms with a sob. Your shoulders shook as you dampened Ethan's shirt, his strong arms the only thing keeping you upright. You leaned on him to hold you up and tell you everything was going to be okay, even if it was a lie.

"I was so scared," you sputtered out once you were able to speak; the sudden realization that you did not want to die mixing with the realization that you very well could've.

"I know," Ethan replied, all too well. He placed kisses on your shoulder as you cried, large hands rubbing your back. "I'm sorry. I'll keep you safe," Ethan promised, only because he knew he could keep it.

You shuddered as the tears came to a stop. The fight had left you long ago but the adrenaline was only now starting to fade, leaving you feeling useless and tired.

You no longer wanted to think about the suspicious timing of Ethan's arrival. You refused to believe Ethan's shoes were the same ones the masked killer was wearing. It was dark and you were tired. And when you looked into Ethan's eyes, you could see nothing but love for you flowing out of them. He said he would not hurt you, yet you believed he could not hurt anyone.

You pulled Ethan's face down to press a kiss to his lips. You were not strong. You could not refuse him even if you didn't have faith in him.

"Please don't leave me," you begged, voice cracking once more.

"I won't," Ethan shook his head, hands tightly grasping your hips. "I promise."

He wondered if your request would stay the same once you knew what he had done. He had confidently believed your love for him would not waver if you knew, that it was as strong as his. He was realizing now that he could only pick one or the other, not both.

The answer was clear. You were not going to find out.

a/n: i loved writing this <33 let me know if you guys would like a part 2!