halloween horrors

Ethan wasn't much of a partier.

You found this out when you'd met him, ironically, at a party. It had been late August then, the first party of the semester to celebrate the end of the first week.

You remember being reluctant to go. Now you were grateful you bit your tongue and went — going to that party was the catalyst in your relationship with Ethan.

You learned, very early on, that Ethan being at that party was a once-in-a-blue-moon spectacle, one that Chad was fully at fault for. Ethan had been shy even with a shot of alcohol in him, but was even worse without. This fact didn't bother you too much; less nights out meant more nights in, where you and Ethan could savor each other's presence in private.

This, however, led to a little hiccup when considering how you would celebrate Halloween.

It was your first big holiday as a couple and you were already going crazy with potential game plans. A party was a no-go, no matter how your friends begged. They tried to hold the idea of a matching couple costume over your heads, but you turned them down. Ethan even tried to offer a 30-minute-max appearance, but you assured him he didn't have to. You wanted this night for yourselves.

Ethan was an angel in letting you plan, offering you ideas here and there. You'd ask him for feedback from time to time, but he was no real help; he nodded at any idea you had with a grin.

"Okay, okay. How about a night in, with a movie marathon, and snacks—"

"Matching pajamas?" Ethan offered. "You know, instead of a couple costume—"

You laughed at the suggestion. Not in a mean way, but in a you're-absolutely-adorable way, making sure to express this sentiment with a kiss to Ethan's cheek.

"Matching pajamas it is."

"I think you just planned my perfect night," Ethan mumbles against your skin, soft touches sweet like candy.

Ethan probably would have called any night spent with you a perfect night, even if it included a party. But you didn't fight the compliment, letting Ethan press kisses of gratitude against your lips for the time being.

「 ... 」

Halloween was here. Your heart beat rapidly throughout your morning class, fingers tapping as you waited impatiently for noon to come. Elation propelled you through setting up your apartment for Ethan's arrival at 6 (though Ethan was always early, especially when it was a date).

Snacks were set up in Halloween-themed bowls and plates, decorations strung up in every corner.

You went all out. Ethan arrived with a bright smile, bringing more food although you'd told him not to worry. Though you couldn't help your smile as you saw the themed food that fit right in.

Ethan greeted you with a kiss first and foremost, before even setting his things down. The kiss he gave you was his way inside your apartment, rocking you back without you realizing. Ethan shut the door behind him and made his way to your living room to set everything down.

"Woah," he breathed out, taking his first good look around. He'd helped you put a few things here and there up, but you'd worked hard since he'd last seen your place. Ethan grinned at your effort. "Everything looks amazing. This better stay up until at least December."

You laughed at that, helping Ethan set up the food alongside all the other snacks and treats you'd decorated.

"Next time I'm helping," Ethan said sternly, admiring all the work you put into some ghost-shaped cookies.

"Not with any of the food," you teased.

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Okay, it was not my fault you don't label your measuring spoons."