insomniac

Restlessness — your body ached for sleep, yet your mind remained alert. The frustration came quickly — the nightly struggle was close to becoming routine, increasing in frequency the harder you fought back. You just wanted to rest.

Shuffling into new positions was always useless but that didn't stop you from trying.

It was particularly difficult tonight with your six-foot-tall boyfriend beside you, facing down into your shoulder with his left arm pinning you to the mattress. The position would've been ideal if you were able to sleep normally.

You gently peeled Ethan's arm off, listening carefully to his steady breathing. You tried to be careful not to wake him; your problems were not his.

You held your breath as you tried to free your shoulder from under Ethan, escaping slowly as you turned on your side, facing Ethan. You could only watch in despair as Ethan's breathing changed and he moved his head to find you again. His eyes blinked open and even in the dark you could see them shine.

Ethan took a second to wake up, his natural instinct almost winning. You were jealous. He shifted to face you, warm hand reaching out to rub up and down your arm.

"Can't sleep?" Ethan's voice was deep and raspy but comforting as ever.

You shook your head, the rustling seeming louder against the quiet of the night. "No," you responded verbally, a whisper of truth.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

You shrugged this time, your eyes gleaming with defeat.

Ethan nodded in understanding, pulling you closer.

You were embarrassed to admit that your body relaxed immediately once you were in Ethan's embrace. His arms were your sanctuary, a shield equipping you with invulnerability. You sighed, happily this time, as Ethan moved onto his back, taking you with him.

Limbs intertwined as your fingers tangled through Ethan's hair. He began pressing soft kisses to your jaw, arms snaking around you in a cage you didn't want to escape. Ethan started whispering what you were sure was a retelling of Star Wars, but your brain fogged up and your eyes closed before you could really make sure. Your breathing slowly evened out and Ethan smiled.

Your problems were not his problems but he would solve them for you, anyway.