pretty flowers for a pretty boy

maybe it was too many rom-coms. maybe it was all the tiktoks about plans for valentine's day. but a voice in your head pleaded for you to get flowers for your boyfriend.

it was a partially satirical and partially romantic gesture on your part; usually, it was the guy getting, or not getting, flowers for his significant other. but it was your first valentine's day with ethan and you had the urge to get him the biggest, prettiest bouquet you could find. you could already imagine the cute string of laughter it would pull out of ethan.

and so began your hunt. you were shopping the day of and the shops were cleared. jokes on you for waiting until last minute. you went from store to store, asking around for anything other than a pathetic single flower. at this point, it would be easier to pick some off the ground and build the bouquet yourself.

and then, finally, you found it. the perfect bouquet, one you practically ran to grab, holding the flowers tightly to your chest with wild eyes, as if someone was going to come up behind you and snag the gift right out of your hands.

the bouquet wasn't enough on its own — you went all out with your little mission, buying gag gifts and balloons with cheesy one-liners. though, beneath the unseriousness of it all, you couldn't help but hope ethan would find it funny and maybe a little cute.

you really did like him — you wouldn't have stuck by your silly promise of embarrassing him on valentine's day if you didn't.

and so you waited, candles of various sizes and scents lighting the room (despite the steady source of light from the windows). you'd told ethan to get ready, though you sidestepped giving him a straightforward answer when he asked what you had up your sleeve.

you heard a knock and you picked up the bouquet, hiding the flowers behind your back as best as you could before yelling out a clear, "come in!"

the door of your apartment opened slowly, carefully, to reveal ethan, whose eyes shone and lips stretched at the sight of you. ethan walked in after shutting your door, pressing a kiss to your lips in greeting.

"what's all this?" he asked with a grin and the beginnings of a giggle, looking around your obnoxiously decorated space, shades of red and pink covering nearly every wall.

"i told you this was going to happen, landry. i warned you," you teased with a grin, stealing one more kiss before finally revealing the flowers you'd worked so hard to get.

ethan's eyes went wide as he took the bouquet from you, admiring the bright colors and the variety of flowers. the wrapper crinkled with his touch and his eyes began to water.

was ethan crying?

"aw, ethan—"

and then ethan sneezed. once, twice, three times. and it clicked in your brain.

"oh my god, ethan—"

"no, no — achoo! — it's okay—"

"why are you still holding them?"

you took the bouquet back and in a panic, threw them outside your apartment, into the hallway. you entered to see ethan, blowing his newly-red nose, a few tears streaming down his face.

"ethan, i am so sorry, i had no idea— i would've never touched a flower if i had known, i'm so sorry—"

and despite it all, ethan laughed. wiping his eyes and throwing away his tissue, a little chuckle shook ethan's shoulders as you watched, heart still beating in worry.

though, upon seeing your eyebrows tilted upwards in worry, ethan walked over to you, hands rubbing your arms.

"it's okay," ethan promised, though his words did not seem to ease you.

"i promise it's okay. there's literally no way you could've known, unless you hunted down my mother or something," ethan offered a smile that grew wider as he felt your body begin to relax.

"plus, if i ever piss you off, all you have to do is—"

you slapped ethan's shoulder as he laughed. you did, too, just a little.

"so, you forgive me?"

"i was never mad, honey." ethan pressed a sweet kiss to your cheek, then your jaw.

"you should've told me," you mumbled and ethan hummed against your neck. "also, i'm pretty sure i trapped you here."

ethan paused, breaking apart from you to send you a questioning look.

"i kind of just... threw them out the door," you admitted with a blush and ethan laughed, again. it would've pissed you off if his laughter wasn't so sweet-sounding. "you could probably just hold your breath and walk over them, but—"

"but staying here with you sounds much better," ethan offered with a knowing smile, voice light and airy with content.

it was your turn to press a loving kiss on ethan's lips, soft and sweet. your fingers moved through ethan's curls, hand on the back of his neck guiding his lips to mold with yours.

"let's watch love, actually?" you asked when you took a breath. ethan nodded, and with a kiss to your forehead intertwined your fingers and led you to the couch.

the journey for the bouquet was in vain, but was insignificant the moment ethan held you against his side, lips connecting with your skin so often you could barely focus on the movie. you wouldn't trade the love ethan made you feel for anything.

and fake flowers lasted longer, anyway.