something about you - one [read a/n]

Humid heat surrounded you, water in the air making sweat stick to your skin. New York was not famous for its days like these; but as summer creeped closer, heat rolled into the city of millions.

Your last class ended as the sun reached its peak, emitting an unwelcome ray of light and head as you made the trek across campus back to the shelter of your dorm. All attempts to wipe your sweat off were futile, new beads of moisture replacing any lost.

The cool air of your dorm building did little to relieve you once you finally reached it, your high body temperature fighting against any attempts to lower it. The only solution was a cold shower, the thought of cool water against your skin making the journey to the fourth floor a little less miserable.

You made it into your room and flung your bag into a corner, heading straight for the bathroom. Sweet relief flooded you as you imagined the relaxing evening you were going to treat yourself to.

You leaned into your shower, reaching over to twist the handle to get the coldest water possible. Nothing. You twisted more. Nothing.

You turned to the bathroom's sink, lifting the handle up. Water gushed out just fine. You tried the shower again. Not even a drop.

"Fuck!"

Your options were paltry: you could put in a maintenance request, but it was a Friday afternoon and you knew you wouldn't get anyone to your building until Monday at the earliest.

Frustrated tears began to prick at your eyes. All you wanted was a shower.

You texted your roommate, glad no one was currently home to see you cry over a faulty shower.

you
shower's not working :(
i think it's just the shower tho? the sink is fine

roommate
weird
did you ask the neighbors?
maybe it's a building issue

The question struck you. No, you had not asked the neighbors. Maybe someone around knew what the issue was.

You splashed some water on your face, hoping to rid any stray tears and sweat.

Walking out of your room, you considered the options you had left. You didn't know many of the students on your floor, no close relationships to rely on now. The only people you knew were the two boys that lived on your right. Well, you only kind of knew Ethan.

He introduced himself a while back and though the two of you never spoke much, you would greet each other politely when you did cross paths.

You knocked on the door a little softly, hoping Ethan's roommate wasn't the one to answer the door. Better yet, you hoped neither of them answered.

Your wish was not granted.

The door opened to reveal Ethan sporting shorts, a t-shirt, and a confused expression on his face, surprise blending in at the sight of you.

"Hey!" Ethan said, though it sounded strangely like a question.

"Hey! Sorry, weird question - is your shower working?"

Ethan's face morphed even more. "It... should be?"

"Could you... check?" You cringed at your request, but Ethan was kinder than you were.

Ethan motioned for you to come in, closing the door gently behind you. He made his way to his bathroom, rummaging around. You took a look around. His dorm was laid out just like yours, only flipped. The decorations would've hidden the distinct sides of the room occupied by two disparate boys if it weren't for the abundance of old movie posters on one side of the room; Ethan, definitely.