Boom. Ninjas.

A shot rang out, at first I thought it was the video game I'd been playing with Wally, Conner and Artemis, a lapse I could have partially blamed on sleep deprivation, but was pretty much entirely sue to the dreamlike  haze I'd been living in. That mix of happy disbelief/euphoric, shock and awe being of course, the product of having recently experienced my first real sexual encounter with my supposedly straight best friend of all people. Considering it was only the previous afternoon that we shared that first kiss during truth or dare, not even a full twenty four hours since the aforementioned hanky-pankey, and I had been been trying my level best to enjoy that fleeting haze knowing reality would eventually shatter it. I just really hadn't expected reality to burst my little bubble so fast, I supposed that was what I got for dropping my Bat-certified guard, even for less than a day. I'd known since the moment Batman announced this mission, with increasing levels dread as things progressed, that eventually this would all blow up in my face. I wasn't stupid, I had just gotten super gay with my best friend in the whole world, an event that by itself could potentially be at the very lest a little messy and a lot awkward. I of course being the overachiever I was had to take it like fifty steps further with the whole secret ID thing, really this whole disaster is less superhero comic book and more angsty teen pseudo-soap opera.

Personally, I blamed Batman.

So I really couldn't be blamed for my sub-standard processing/reaction time after hearing the gun shot, (three seconds instead of under one, bite me Bruce), as it was I realized what was going on at the same time as the rest on the team did -sans Conner and his superhearing- who was already moving towards the door.  

It was then that the rest of the team sprang into action, Artemis and M'gann followed Superboy as he rushed downstairs to address the threat. Aqualad and Wally stayed with me, which obviously, was unacceptable so I turned to address my unfortunately ignorant teammates, secretly wishing it had been Artemis and M'gann with me instead.

"What are you two doing? Go help your teammates, I'm fine here, there's a hidden panic room behind that bookshelf over there." I made a shooing motion with my hands as I lied through my teeth, they seemed reluctant but I managed to persuade them anyways. As soon as they left I made a beeline for the batcave, using the back staircase to discreetly sneak down to the grandfather clock on the ground floor of the manor. Once there I contacted Batman and let him know that they where here, he of course ordered me to stay put, I of course, did not, instead I hung up on him- an incredibly satisfying action, despite how petty it totally was- and went for my costume.
In record time I was dressed and ready, jumping smoothly into the chaos of dozens of assassins battling with my teammates in. my front yard, announcing my presence with a slew of explosive birdarangs, feeling only slightly guilty about the fate of Alfred's shrubbery. 

"Robin!" Kid Flash exclaimed in surprise while he dodged shirakins as he speed punched a ninja in the face. "What are you doing here? I thought you where on a super secret mission with the Bat?"

"Alfred notified us when surveillance spotted the first ninja, I was already on my way back when I got it, but Batman got a little held up so we might be on our own." I covered, broadcasting my reply to the whole team via the mental link Miss M had just included me in, before sending a smirk in Wally's direction as I used one assassin's back as a spring-board to launch myself into the air, flipping to land feet-first on another's shoulders.

"Well it's pretty traught that you're here bro! And you know I prefer the snarkier half of the dynamic duo obviously. Besides, the team doesn't need Batman's help to kick assassin ass, especially now that you're here!"  Wally proclaimed with a smirk, to the various metal replies of agreement from my other teammates through the link. I expressed my thanks for their support as I pulled out my bo-staff to Perry the assassins' swords while biting my proverbial mental tongue at Wally's use of what he regularly referred to as my 'butchered language'. There would be time to call him out for that later, preferably in public, and at a time when I wasn't dodging deadly katana strikes to my vital organs, and razor sharp projectiles aimed for my face. The next few minutes (more than a few maybe-it was hard to tell) went by in a blur of uninterrupted motion, I flipped, slid, weaved and kicked my way from ninja to ninja, never pausing long enough for them to get the drop on me. My cackle followed behind me with my cape, my teammates too wrapped up in their own battles all around me, to make any of their usual teasing remarks about it. I was on fire, Batman was so wrong! I could totally take care of myself, I didn't know what he was so worried about, I was fine, more than fine, I mean really, I was Robin, The Boy Wonder damnit! 

My internal gloating was interrupted moments later though when I felt the sharp tip of a sword embed itself into my side. Spoke to soon.

Maybe Batman was right.

God I really hoped that wouldn't be my last thought, I was so coming back to haunt him for this... My thoughts trailed off as my vision dimmed and everything went black, the distant, worried cries of my teammates ringing in my ears.

At least death by ninja would be a pretty cool way to go...